Firewire immune to jitter?

I wonder if a firewire connected DAC is as problematic at rejecting jitter as a USB is and if there are reclockers available for firewire.

I currently have a MacBook pro running Audirvana+ feeding a Weiss DAC202 to it’s firewire input with satisfying sonic results. I really like the DAC202. Firewire cable is an Audiquest carbon.
But, would I be best to use the USB out of the Mac using a USB to S/PDIF converter into the rca input of the Weiss. I use to have one of those (a Wavelength I think) feeding an ARC DAC7 that could not process HR files through its USB input. I have since sold the DAC7 and gotten the Weiss.

I was also considering replacing the Mac with an Aurender N100h (Or similar) but many people are telling me that I must be prepared to spend mega bucks to better my current digital set up. 
Cost of an Aurender N100h or N100c
Cost of a new DAC (USB capable) but not necessary if using a N100c 
Cost of a reclocker (Synchromesh or similar)
Cost of USB, S/PDIF/BNC cables

I barely have enough money for an Aurender let alone all the peripherals mentioned above.

Note, I am not into MQA and DSD and will never be. If I want better sound than 16/44 or 24/96 I just put a vinyl on my $30k analog front end. 

Any thoughts much appreciated. And if the best solution is to leave everything as is then that’s cool too.

smoffatt
the Weiss DAC202 offers the best rejection of datastream jitter I have encountered.

Here is an experiment that will show just how well it rejects jitter:

Change the digital source or the cable or both. If the sound quality changes, then it will benefit from a reclocker and a better digital cable. The reclocker will make a bigger difference however. The DAC that is totally immune to incoming jitter is a rare item, no matter what is advertised.

In synchronous S/PDIF , even when source and the DAC clocks are different DAC adjusts its clock to follow average rate of the source. This is usually done with PLL, that often introduces its own jitter. In properly executed asynchronous USB clocks are completely independent.

Certainly true, although good S/PDIF receiver chips add extremely low amounts of jitter. I can compare a direct I2S feed and a S/PDIF feed from the same device and the difference between the two is barely audible and only on certain tracks, at least with my DAC.

Interesting read. Thanks shadorne.
In light of that, I may just replace my firewire cable for a better one. A Diamond or similar. Will look at the used market first.

If the Weiss rejects all jitter, then why would you waste your money on an expensive Firewire cable? Jitter is the only thing you are trying to minimize, nothing else. The reason is that it doesn’t reject all jitter.

Like I said, jitter always matters and the best way to minimize it is a good reclocker that will give you 20psec of jitter like the Synchro-Mesh and secondarily a good cable like my Reference BNC. You can try other reclockers until the cows come home. None of them will beat the Synchro-Mesh:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154498.0

I’m not trying to make a lot of money here. The SM sells for $599. I don’t need a sale here. I’m just trying to help you optimize your system and give you good advice.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Up to and including the DAC 8 they did not have "great" clocks, but only good clocks. There are a number of DAC's which outclass them by far in the USB realm.

Also, the issue with USB is as often power supply noise from the PC, including ground noise issues. If you have a laptop it is worth experimenting on battery power vs. not, and also consider a USB isolator.

Most top-tier DAC's now do much better in isolating the USB from the possibility of ground loops, but it's not guaranteed.

All very true. These are some of the reasons why I do Ethernet now and not USB anymore.  Here is a direct comparison of Ethernet to isolated XMOS USB, apples to apples:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=155232.0

Steve N.

Empirical Audio