Class D is just Dandy!

I thought it was time we had a pro- Class D thread. There's plenty of threads about comparisons, or detractors of Class D.

That's fine, you don't have to like Class D amps, and if you don't please go participate on one of those threads.

For those of us who are very happy and excited about having musical, capable amps that we can afford to keep on 24/7 and don't require large spaces to put them in, this thread is for you.

Please share your experiences with class D amps!
erik_squires
I do though see some advantages regarding heat generated (if that is a concern.. for me it isn’t) and size/weight. They offer a ton of power in a small mass versus trying to heft around a 90 pound Class A/B amp or an even heavier (with less power) tube amp.

I see my system as something I want to get the very best from, and if I have to compromise and pay for it in less efficiency so be it.

I wouldn’t buy a Ferrari put low octane fuel in it, stick cross-ply tires on it and drive it like a granny just so I could say I’m being kinder to the environment.

But Class-D amps with the promises of higher switching frequencies technology in the future, may become all they need for me to jump camp, then my current amps will become door stops or boat anchors.

Cheers George
Heat and weight are not a concern for me, either. But I can see where those 2 things might be appealing for some. I won't lie in that I am struggling some to be really attracted to Class D for now. The technology seems to be changing rapidly whereas Class A/B at the least is mature. Same reason why in general I do not prefer paying for a DAC built in to the preamp unless the maker has a way for future upgrades. Dropping $5K or $11K for a pair of monoblock Class D amps only to see a much improved amp board emerge in 2 years would hurt my financial feelings. My spousal unit is very good with accepting my expensive hobbies to  a point. Course if that $5K Class D amp already produces sound quality I find superior to every Class A/B amp I can find in the same price category then it may well work. But am giving consideration to some SST equipment (Son of Ampzilla 2 and Theobe II) as well which will not cost as much as some of the Class D options I am looking into! Course maybe I should just stay with my current setup... it is good and is now free :)
@jdavis37 Not all Class D manufacturers use third-party amplifier modules. Check of Digital Amplifier Company. He designs his own Class D amps, or at least that's what he says (see website.) I own a pair on his Maraschinos and I love 'em. I also have some experience with other brands you mentioned. But I'd rather not speak of that here. PM me if you want more information. And I am not affiliated with, nor compensated by, Digital Amplifier Company...just wanted to get that said.
Thanks MDE.. gives me something else to read about. His approach seems a little different and his units carry a bit of weight to them (Makes class A/B people like me feel more comfortable!). I'll PM you fo rthe other info!
MDE.. I'm not an audiogon regular so PMng seems to be escaping my abilities! Feel free to send from your end :)