calling all Guru;s, Ideas on audiophyle high effeiciency speakers solicited

Wanting to enter the "Tube system" realm. After extensive research I've come to realize that my current low efficiency speakers B&W 803D2 require a lot of power and may not cut the mustard using tube gear. Although I truly love the speakers I may end up swapping them out in the future to accommodate my new found rabbit hole. Tube amps in general provide only minimal power certainly not enough for my listening habits. 
Anyway what , by any standard, constitutes a high efficiency speaker? is it a rating of 80....... 90, 92,......97? just what is it. Do speaker manufacturers fudge the number on occasions? How do we know? Is a 2 way design inherently more efficient than a 3 way? Does  the amount of speakers in a cabinet affect efficiency?
Last of all what are some audiophile grade speakers? 
128x128gillatgh
You're speakers allegedly have 90db sensitivity with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms. In theory, that's fairly efficient by today's standards, and should work with a tube amp of about 50 watts. After all, B&W recommends a minimum of 50 watts. However, it seems most B&W owners end up settling with powerful SS amps. 

If you want to try tubes with your B&Ws, I have no doubt that a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum will drive them to sane volumes. That's about the most glass power one can get for the money. If your heart is set on low power SET amps, you'll need different speakers, ideally some of 94db sensitivity or greater.

Some will tell you that tubes necessitate 3-digit sensitivity. That's complete rubbish. I can drive my 87db spec speakers to loud volumes with 45 tube watts. Also, room gain, listening distance, music genres, particular amp design, and desired headroom play a significant role.
Contrary to untutored belief tubes are NOT inherently better than transistors! I own many amps of both types! Your 803D2's are truly excellent speakers and capable of better sound than ANY high-sensitivity types. I can recommend a New York Audio Labs NYAL Moscode 300 (tube/MOSFET hybrid) to power the B&W's. A superb amp designed by George Kaye - and capable of handling difficult loads! And being a hybrid it will give you a nice taste of tube sound - without the drawbacks of an all-tube amp!
I can speak from experience, owning a NYAL Moscode 150 (half the power of the 300)!
High eff is over 100db medium about 90+db up ohm load also effects ability to drive and must be considered. Most high eff designs use large cone area many need to be multiway over 3-5 way depending on end goal and range required. I would suggest you select tube amp maybe list budget system room and over all system goal you wish to achieve if you want more detailed information. I would say pursuing higher efficiency can be a laudable goal and can yield incredible sound over conventional systems but users need to have a bit more knowledge when selecting such over what one needs for standard audio fare.
@gillatgh - There may be no need to sell your speakers...

Take a look at this web site and contact Pete McAllister for his opinion on whether he has an amp that will drive your speakers.
http://www.mcalisteraudio.com/

He may also share his thoughts on your speakers, but remember -  it is only his opinion :-)

Search this forum for feedback - there are mostly positive and some negative comments - it really depends on your taste

He has an amp for most purposes - including monoblocks rated at 195 watts per channel - loud enough? :-)

His amps (all tube) are very articulate and detailed with extremely good dynamic response and imaging

The only drawback is - he builds everything himself - including hand winding all transformers, so they can take a while to build (2-3 months) - but his amps will last you a lifetime.

A friend has had one of his amps for 40 years and it still sounds amazing

If you have to sell your speakers take a look at Tannoy speakers - the DC10A springs to mind - Pete may try to convince you to look at  Electrostatics (not everyone's tase) but his amps do work well with them

Good luck with your quest - Steve