a basic question on HD

1920 X 1080i or 1080p....as I understand it...if 65" plasma has pixels of 1366X 768 is HD? Does it take advantage of Blu Ray, HD DVD properly? This directly relates to B&O's BeoVision 4. Yes very expensive and better ones out there, I guess. But wanted to ask the question as the dealer kept insisting it would do full HS of 1080i....is this not the same as pixel count. Am I missing something here?
henryhk
Fplanner2000,

If you don't have it already go out and buy the Sony BDP-S1 Blu-ray player and X men III, you will be blown away!
Ya' Kennyt got it. The new Toshiba X2A and even the ps3 actually output 1080p--(I have the older X1A).
I have the Sony Ruby and the pq; even with my older X1A is better than my TWC-hd feed.
I know we all have different levels of enjoyment/ desires, and budgets.---Pretty much anyone whom is a videophile with the funds has one of the new displays and one of the new format players.---LG just came out with a player that does BD and HD-DVD.--(BD= blue ray) So, as they say you can get into the game and run with the big-dogs or just sit on the porch.---I rent from Netflix--they rent both formats---same price as renting standard dvds.---
Yesterday I watched 1080i and 1080p Sony LCDs side by side with the same source. The improvement with 1080p was not subtle.

db
Henryhk,

HD is 720p or greater resolution, so yes, a 1366 x 768 plasma is a high def TV.

Plasma, like LCD, LCos, and DLP, are fixed pixel displays so they must convert any incoming signal to their native resolution before they can display it. And, if the input signal is interlaced rather than progressive, the set must also deinterlace the signal.

So the plasma in question will have to make a small scaling adjustment to expand a 720p input to display at 768p. In the case of 1080i / 1080p input, then the TV has to throw away some of the information as it scales down to 768p for display (and for 1080i it also has to deinterlace).

HD on TV, cable, and satellite is either 720p or 1080i.

For the two high def DVD formats, the data is stored on the disc as 1080p/24. Please note, this is not the same as 1080p/60. If the source is 1080p/24, then it can be transmitted as 1080i with no loss of information, provided the TV correctly deinterlaces the 1080i input.

Apparently, not all TVs deinterlace correctly. So, if the TV accepts a 1080p input, and you have the ability to send it a 1080p signal like some of the new high def DVD players, then its possible to see an improvement in picture quality. But the improvement is due to a problem in the TV's deinterlacing, not in the fact that it's being sent as 1080i.

All of the above does not apply if you have a true 1080p/60 source, which is different than 1080p/24, but I am not aware of true 1080p/60 sources unless the gaming systems have that (TV is 720p or 1080i, and movies are 1080p/24).

Bruce