Why do many discussions about sonic performance disintegrate into technical discusions?

Guys I have noticed that certain members start with technical back and forth in discussions which look like they are self serving, to prove how smart or knowledgable they are, rather then forwarding the OP's original question.

Shouldn’t these discussions be moved into a separate post about technical stuff ie the techical merits of bibolar vs mosfets for example, if these members want to do that?

I think most member don’t care if a Krell amp uses brand x or y for transistors vs a Pass or any other amp, I think most people are more concerned with what the sonic differences there are vs specific technical arguments that are not related to the sonic flavor or design methodologies that these product use to produce their sound, what do you guys think?
128x128audiotroy
That’s a little like asking car fans not to talk about the engines and wheels.

I think there’s plenty of room for both, but I also think a lot of what passes as technical discussions is not backed up by very much.

There is also a great deal to be said about how vendors market their product. Much of the advertising IS about technology, and goes something like "Tweeters made of unobtanium are finally able to reproduce music, let us show you the cool pictures." so this isn't just about the fans.

I think audiophiles who care a lot should in fact make their own stuff. Preamps/Amps/ Speakers. You learn a great deal even if you buy it all from a kit.
+1 @erik_squires   Yea, the car analogy is appropriate.  In trying to explain what being an audiophile or enthusiast is about, I often use the car analogy.  In the same way that we tweak our systems with different footers, fuses, cables to tailor the sound to our liking, auto enthusiasts will install special struts to tune the suspension, sculpted pistons, or fancy exhaust manifolds to eek out  a few more horsepower and torque from their rides.  

Just as the car guy/gal will describe the enhanced handling or acceleration of their vehicle we extol the sonic virtues of transparency textural smoothness etc. that we realize from tweaking our systems.

I like to read about the technical changes AND the sonic changes that they brought to a system.
What what percent of forum members are women? I’m also semi-active in a car forum and I’ve never seen a post by a woman. I wonder if all the gear talk, and the technical jargon, is just totally outside the realm for women. 
Penalty flag! 😠 Some women might consider your post to be a micro or macro aggression.  "The Horror"

I am pleasantly surprised to hear so many members here mention their wives as anecdotally confirming the sound improvements they hear.  I must agree with you though that there appear to be few women who get into the gear part of this obsession.  Many do appreciate the nuances of fine sound in their homes, however.

The "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" thing has a lot to be said for it.

Lots of cliches arise from that reality.  Men purchase, women shop.  Men get lost, women stop to ask for directions etc.
So does lack of encouragement for women to be involved in STEM

I look forward to seeing more women engineers and fans in all areas of science and technology.

Look up Heddy Lamar. I bet if she was alive today she'd have lots to say about speaker and amplifier design.

https://www.biography.com/people/hedy-lamarr-9542252