Where to go next, DAC or Preamp

I'm looking to make the next upgrade in my system and am looking for some advice on where to go next.  Here's my rig, which is used for both 2 channel and HT:

Emotiva XMC-1 Processor
Emotiva XPR-2 Amp for FL/FR (600 watts x 2 @ 8 Ohms)
Emotiva XPR-5 Amp for Center and 4 surrounds (400 watts x 5 @ 8 Ohms)
Focal Electra 1028 BE II Fronts
Focal Chorus CC 700 Center
Polk surrounds
JL F113 sub
Bluesound Node 2

I'm looking to make the upgrade to help with my 2/2.1 channel experience.  Today, that's all done thru the Node 2 via digital coax to the XMC-1 processor.  On the XMC-1, I flip back and forth between Reference Stereo mode, which is pure 2 channel without any altering of the signal, and 2.1 using Dirac room correction with my JL sub included.  I use the DAC in the XMC-1 (Burr-Brown DSD1796) as opposed to the DAC in the Bluesound Node 2 (Burr-Brown PCM5122). 

I think I'm down to either a dedicated DAC or a Preamp, and that's what I'm looking for some help with.  My budget ceiling is $2500.  Would prefer new for warranty purposes but am not opposed to used.

If I go DAC, I'm looking at the Mytek Brooklyn Dac + or the Schitt Yggy.

If I go Preamp, I'm looking at the Primaluna Prologue Premium.

Looking for opinions on what is going to be the better upgrade, the DAC or Preamp.  And if you have other suggestions for either option you'd recommend other than the pieces I've listed above.  

Thanks in advance for your opinions
snafujg
I’ll vote for a DAC upgrade before a preamp..

Thought about buying a DAC which can be a preamp too?

Maybe wait a bit and look for a pre-owned Manhattan 2, Berkely, Ayre, etc., depending on tastes and system synergy of course.

I’ve come to the conclusion if or when I’m looking to upgrade anything, I gotta look at what’s up with those used pieces that are inside the proposed budgetary constraints.

The Exogal Comet could be a interesting prospect, thogh I’m unaware of the exact output IMP or the input IMP of your amp. If there is a 10.1 or better ratio there you should be golden.

I’d say lean on the DAC first notion. The bigger boost to fidelity will arrive there. Or, at least it ought to come from a solid DAC upgrade.

Once more, as decent as is your notion of a PL preamp, do check out the used preamps you can get for your current funding. I like the idea of a preamp in the mix, IF it’s a very nice preamp. There is where I’m prone to infuse tubes into the array. This is true especially if the amp is an SS amp. Obviously as well, if there will be more than one source to control having a very nice sounding tube preamp will help or at least influence, all the sources sonics and the overall presentation.

Go vinyl, it will cure your digi upgrade desire.  It did for me.  Just a thought.  Even entry level turntables have come a long way in terms of SQ.  Especially considering what really good digi costs.