PMC 24 and Canalis Cambria two way floorstanders; What is the advantage to this design?:

I recently noticed several 2 way floor standers, in particular, the PMC.24 ($6000 retail) and the Canalis Cambria  at $5000 retail.  Pro-AC and  Spendor also offer a few 2 way floorstanders

Is there any advantage to a 2 way floor stander  to a 3 way system??

I am aware that less drivers and crossovers, and a slimmer cabinet "usually" provide better sound quality; However, the retail prices of the above don't seemed to represent "good value".

Thank you, S.J. 

sunnyjim

To ps.  Thank you for  reminding me of my other threads I have posted concerning buying  new speakers.  I hope you are not indicating you are annoyed, by my several post, though it seems that way to me

Having been on this blog for over 10 years, I often witnessed members who become impatient with others who post threads about products asked about before. There are several ways to ask a question about an audio product

To me, I could care less about how many times a member posts thread about the same type of component. I hope I can help them based on my own knowledge and reviews of the product I may have read. Redundancy is just being scrupulous and careful, especially when it comes to speakers. It is almost impossible to hear every speaker a person may have interest in, and I have discovered overall the last 10 years that in many  audio showrooms, staff personnel are either arrogant or dismissive unless you declare you are buying the same day. Often,they can push customers to feel  obligated to buy. This attitude does not proceed from  the salesman's duty of "closing the sale", but usually from laziness and not wanting to make the buyer feel comfortable. When I used to "regularly tour audio stores, I've seen many a customer just walk out under such conditions.  It got to the point that when I walked into an shop, I would amiably announce that... "I was not buying today ,but just looking"  and of course I was treated like I had the bubonic plague

This may be getting a bit off topic, but sites like Audiogon should always be open and tolerant of others who either lack the knowledge of a product, or are reluctant to commit to a product without getting as much information as possible. We all have buying foibles, so my mantra is... "so ask away"

Thanks, S.J.  

Sunny,
I think that choosing speakers is perhaps the most difficult task. Over time I've learned a few things that work for me.

1- Decent speakers can sound pretty darn good when powered by excellent electronics.

2- "Great" speakers can sound pretty darn awful when powered by mediocre electronics.

3-Auditioning speakers, even at high-end audio salons, yields just a taste of what they can or cannot deliver.  It's only when one takes them home, and lives with them, that one begins to understand.  

4- The room is a very important component, often overlooked.

I read many reviews and so-called buyer's guides of numerous speakers before I made my choices.  Since then I've spent months dialing in what I have.  I love the journey but I also enjoy arriving a favorable end of said journey.  My goal is to enjoy music in my home- I'm there.  Thankfully.

I understand that "better" speakers exist. At this point I don't care.   :)

FYI: I have Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M's and Magnepan .7's.  Completely different designs and both are completely enjoyable depending on my mood and the weather outside.

To ps.  All good points  I think the Sonus Faber Cremona, etc is out of my price range. I did consider the Magnepan..7 which received many very good reviews. However, even though they are a different design with a different sound field than the GET 7's,  I thought they would be just a move sideways with a few minimal exceptions. I could consider the new 1.7i  which was issued last year; but you are familiar with the Maggies problematic nature in rooms of different sizes and lay-outs.

My listening space is 12X15 which opens into a equal size dining and kitchen area.  I believe the dealer I bought GET 7's from is also a Magneplanar dealer. I "might" have the option of a trade-in, but also have to pay 9.5% state tax on the remaining balance after trade value is applied..

BTW, I have passed over the Scansonic 2.5 's  which I have read and been told take a long time to break in and are finicky about placement.  I also passed on he Audio Physics Avanti II speaker , and Virgo I and IIs. The former is too big and also heavy, and the latter are too old in design  and could be possibly electronic and mechanical liability regardless of AP's reputation.

Thank you for the advice

S.J.