why doesn't everyone own a pair of spica's???

i'm looking at new moniters and everywhere i turn there are raves afer raves for the spica's. the tc-60's coupled with a good sub apparently can compete with almost anything playing anything on the market today. please give insight. i was looking at 500 to 1000 used moniters comparable or better to these legends.
uncertainsmile
Audiomax ... the GMA Europas cost $999 new NOW and I'm confident that they eclipse the tc-60s. I guarantee they eclipse the Angelus (they replaced in my system just a few months ago). The TC-60s, from what I remember, are so similar to the angelus that i'd expect a similar result.

Now if you could buy TC-60s for under $400 I'm sure that NOTHING will compete with them in that price range. The trouble is I see ads for them asking for $600, sometimes more ... for a speaker that's 10 years old and originally cost $900. They're just not worth that money.
Hi Sean,

Your recommendation is noted.

I sold my TC-60 3 yrs ago and still had good memory with them.
Bass and treble extension are not up to today's standard but boy..that incredible midrange liquid with a lot of presence without a hint of agressiveness. I used all tube equipment at the time. $350 -$400 seems to be the good used price range for a 8/10 TC-60.
Hi Audiomax,

The point of my posting was to make others (including the original poster) aware that the Spicas cannot really "compete with almost anything on the market" as he hypothosized.

In terms of a "fair" price comparitive monitor that equals or exceeds the Spica I would probably point to GR Research's lower priced offerings. From my own experience, I am VERY confident that GR Research's $1,200 ribbon monitor will definately beat the Spica in all respects and I STRONGLY suspect that GR Research's $500+ standard cone monitors will do this also.

If you do some digging on the net (Audioasylum for example) I think you will find that GR Research is held in very high regard. I never saw so many one sided over the top positive assessments when I first found out about this speaker line. That's how I discovered GR Research initially. Since then I have auditioned their ribbon monitors and am damn impressed indeed!

From the postings on the net it seems as if everyone who has compared ANY of GR monitor's to other similar priced speakers are pretty much blown away by how much better the GR Research offerings sound in comparison.
thanks everyone, al these posts are great! ehider, i wasn't hypothosizing, i was compressing what i had read about the speaker here on a'gon; specifically, in a post where they were being compared to the very highly regarded vsa vr-1. and slipknot, quality is absolute.