Harbeth blog

Alan Shaw, the designer and owner of Harbeth, the high end speaker manufacturer, has started a new blog on the Harbeth User Group: http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/forum/designer-s-blog/75232-ahoy-from-the-engine-room
He discusses audio and particularly speaker design, but also the science of hearing and the methodology for testing and listening to gear. Anyone who is interested in the scientific approach to audio engineering (and sensible purchasing decisions) will enjoy his writings. Subjectivists may be annoyed, and so will be the snake oil sellers.
willemj
Thanks Yogiboy! That interview really exposes Alan’s critical realization and understanding about transducer material. Alan really is quite exceptional. I have never owned a Harbeth but I have listened extensively and hear exactly why everyone raves about them. Great unique speaker designs that refuse to follow the trendy exotic rigid lightweight cones espoused by the rest of the industry. Harbeth sales keep growing because Harbeth do much more right than most everyone else’s latest and greatest diamonds and metals.
@shadorne

Harbeth and ATC are not the only manufacturers using "intrinsiaclly" damped cones. Far from it. It's called plastic.

Stirling Broadcast, Spendor, Graham, and Falcon are just a few that used damped cones in addition to lossy, thin-walled cabinets. As for other manufacturers using damped drivers, that’s a very long list.
Thanks Helomech. I suspected there were a few more. Yes plastic/polypropylene is intrinsically damped and was popular in the 80’swith Mission. Harbeth mid range cones are even more damped - so it has been taken further than the old Rogers Ls3/5 design. All those you happen to mention are UK BBC style. I have heard of Spendor but not the others. I still think I am correct that the vast majority of designers have gone in the direction of lightweight rigid material over the last 30 years - ceramic or metal etc. as it is cheaper and it uses smaller drive units (more efficient)

I guess Harbeth is quite a bit less unique than I stated. Maybe it is a UK thing as these styles of heavily damped mid range design aren’t often found in North America.
There are indeed quite a few more. Harbeth, however, are unique in that with a government research grant they developed a special polymer (which they call Radial) that was optimed for this application. Others mostly used ordinary polypropylene. There is quite a bit of documentation about this on the Harbeth website.
@shadorne 

I suppose it really depends on what one considers "intrinsically damped." One could argue that only plastics fall into that category, but a case can be made for some alloys and composites as well.

The issue I have with Harbeth is they dominate the BBC market on somewhat false pretenses, as though they're the only ones who know how to make a stiff plastic driver or lossy cabinet. Don't get me wrong. I think they're good speakers and I'd recommend an audition to anyone shopping for a BBC inspired monitor. However,  the others I listed are equally competitive and worthy of a listen. Unfortunately for them, they lack the marketing skills of AS.