Earliest "MOST WANTED" gear

OK, some of us have been on this merry go round longer than others. I checked in in 1976, age 16. Typical teenagers, I wanted a turntable, receiver and speakers. A tape deck down the road and a decent used car once I got a license.

I envisioned my 1st system- a Dual turntable with a Shure cartridge, AR bookshelf speakers, and as for a receiver, I liked Tandberg and Marantz. Predictably, my 1st system did not look like that at all, though over the years out of a fit of nostalgia I have owned all of that stuff, even if for under a year (and then sold it to another person trying to satisfy earlier desires). Well, at least I envisioned a Teac tape deck and that's what I eventually bought.

What was the "system of your dreams" before you dipped your toes into the water?
128x128zavato
my system consisted of a marantz 4300 4 chanell receiver, a pioneer pl-51 direct drive turntable with a audio tecnica at 15 s shibata stylus, with a jvc demodulater for the cd records and 4 bose 901 spealers. later on i bought a phase linear 400 for more powr!

zavato OP
  Earliest "MOST WANTED" gear

1977 Mark Levinson ML2 monoblocks, huge, heavy, very hot. Pure Class-A 25w into 8ohms, YES only 25w.
But can drive anything even the nasty Wilson Alexia MkI with a .9ohm!!! load in the bass perfectly to a certain level. Not for headbangers. Best amp ever for Quad ESL57's

Just one of a pair:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9uGHPSseR-w/U3aWYTrghsI/AAAAAAAB8yI/XxdvN_K7-jk/s1600/ML2a.JPG

Cheers George

My first really serious system, about 1975, was a Harmon Kardon Citation 2 power amplifier, with a Citation 1 preamp, rack mounted in a nineteen inch military rack 7 feet high, which also contained my Technics SL-1100 turntable, which was on a drawer slide, and equipped with a Rabco linear tracking arm. Also in the relay rack was a Hammerlund SW and AM receiver, which I used to tune in Beaker Street which was broadcast from Little Rock after 10:PM. The speakers were Altec corner horns with dual 15" woofers; but the High End bug bit when a friend brought over a set of Fulton Musical Industries (FMI) 80s...
My first real system was purchased in 1978 at Alan Audio in Bloomington, IN. Advent 300 receiver, New Advent speakers, and a Micro Seiki MB-14 turntable. No idea what cartridge they put in it. Lots of records available at the used record stores for $2-$3 apiece. My 15 watts/channel blew away just about everyone else on my dorm floor.

Those were the days.   :-)

18 in 1978 - Actually bought Sansui G4500 and Infinity RS-Bs(?) 3 ways.

Also liked the Polk 10Bs.