what do i really need 1080p for?

if my only intention of getting a plasma/or lcd is to buy a new tv, that can accept the high def signal in the future, what do i need a 1080p tv for? arent they only really useful if using a blue-ray type source? my intention is to NOT use this as part of home theater , or even to watch dvds..simply watch cable tv. that being said...looking for 46" isnt plasma the way to go? ive got a sony 36" Wega XBR and not much rivals that...so whatever i get needs to outperform it. And 720p of course is way less coin.
jaf2290
Jaf2290- if cable is all you currently watch then save those bucks and keep what you've got....in a few years when the networks are ready for the switch, maybe you'll be ready for that upgrade...
Panasonic plasma gets my nod. LCD is too soft looking, plus motion artifacts on anything moving fast.
Check out the Sony XBR6 series, either the 32 or 37. CC and BB has them and you can get a hands on, eye full. It has all the connections you will ever need.
Actually there are some stations broadcasting in 1080i over the air. CBS seems to be doing this more than the other big networks. CSI, David Letterman and the like.. look phenominal on my 52 inch LCD Sharp Aquos 1080p..they also look great on the 42 inch Samsung 720p Plasma.

Plasma or LCD..it is your call there. I use a Plasma in the bedroom and a LCD in the great room. If your room doesn't have a lot of windows, a plasma can be had cheap with very good results! The Panasonic is a nice unit.

LCD is the way to go if you have a lot of sun coming in through nearby windows. Neither looks great with a crap signal..it is just the nature of the beast.

The better the signal the better the picture with any of these TVs. I have a Sony Wega that has been sitting unused for 1 1/2 yrs after going over to panels. It looks fine on regular cable, but has no where near the depth and colors of a good LCD or Plasma.

The Sony, Samsung and Mitsubishi LCDs are another option...great picture on these units as well.

I install these types of TVs as a side job frequently ..as well as projectors. So I get to see them in different settings. You can have the so called best plasma in the world. Put it in the wrong room and the sun glare will drive you insane!

If you're energy conscious the LCD is also the better option. A plasma uses as much energy as a refrigerator. Need less to say my plasma gets a lot of down time. lol

You also have the FTA option. Buy a HD FTA reciever and get certain HD channels for free! From what I've been told you get nearly 1000 free channels on these boxes..not all are HD of course.

Good luck
great feedback...forgive me..what signal will cable be mainly broadcasting in. and is there ever a case when 720p shows a better picture than 1080i? Thanks again everyone