Da Benz?

Greetings,

If anyone would care to recommend a cartridge for the setup below I’d greatly appreciate it! Thinking about a Benz Micro wood (but don’t know if it should be low, medium, or high output version). Also considering a Grado but am open to other suggestions. Looking to be  in the $1k – $2k price range.

Setup:

Sota STAR TT

SME IV Arm

Conrad Johnson EF1 Phono Stage

Conrad Johnson Premier 16 LS Pre

Conrad Johnson Premier 12 Mono Blocks

Vandersteen Wood Quatro Signature Speakers

Vandenhul Tea Track Bi-wire

Stealth PGS IC’s

Prefer a warm and relaxed sound but with good articulation.

Music tastes are classical, soft jazz (Diana Krall, Holly Cole, etc.), and classic rock.

Thank you!

Randy

rbschauman
Based on the information below I would select the medium output Benz

The C-J  EF1 offers three different gain settings, 40, 46, and 52 dB, selected by switches inside the unit.

Benz Wood S models at $1,600 use the MR or Micro Ridge stylus and are available in Low .4mV (Wood SL), Medium .9mV (Wood SM) and High Output 2.5mV (Wood SH)
Randy, we have a very similar stereo system set up.  
I have a J.A. Michell table with SME V arm.
C-J EF1 phonostage, as yourself.
C-J  Premier 17LS preamp.
C-J  LP66S amp.

I had a Benz Micro Glider, medium output, some years ago.  A good cart which provided years of pleasant listening service.  It just wore out.....
Currently have a Lyra Delos.  A bit better separation and overall sound quality than the Benz in my humble opinion.  Could be the line contact stylus working its design magic....  You would enjoy either one in your system, but I believe the Delos is what you're looking for.

Try the max gain setting with a medium output cart.  Try 200 Ohms loading for resistance.  You can run 47K Ohms, which is unloaded.  Won't damage anything.  Many people run their carts unloaded.  Your Premier 12 mono blocks are top shelf amps, don't ever sell them....wish I had a pair!

All,

Greatly appreciate the responses. Wouldn’t it be great if I could now hop in my car and go to the local audio store and hear your recommendations? Yep, not going to happen.

However, the reassurance I got here is of great value. Makes me feel I’m on the right track with my first thoughts and thank you for giving me a bit more to consider. I’ll continue to do my homework…

BTW Quincy, took a look at J.A. Michell TT’s and think they’re very cool. Did not know of them till now. Also, thanks for the reassurance that the 12’s are keepers, will do!

Thank you everyone,

Randy

Randy, good luck on your quest.  Some time you have to trust the word of others and take a leap of faith.  The days of being able to audition various components of interest has long passed.......Whatever your choice perform the set up yourself and take the time to experiment with gain and loading.....you can not damage your equipment.