PMC 24 and Canalis Cambria two way floorstanders; What is the advantage to this design?:

I recently noticed several 2 way floor standers, in particular, the PMC.24 ($6000 retail) and the Canalis Cambria  at $5000 retail.  Pro-AC and  Spendor also offer a few 2 way floorstanders

Is there any advantage to a 2 way floor stander  to a 3 way system??

I am aware that less drivers and crossovers, and a slimmer cabinet "usually" provide better sound quality; However, the retail prices of the above don't seemed to represent "good value".

Thank you, S.J. 

sunnyjim
IME, there is less to the driver count of a speaker than the designer's skill.  I have heard multi-way systems that are great, and some that stink.  Ditto for two-way towers.  But a designer that knows what he is doing can get excellent, extended sound out of a two-way tower.  And, IMO, that's what you are paying for, not just the cabinetry and components, but also the artistry of the designer.  Let's put it this way:  Which would you rather have, a two-way tower for $6K that is the best speaker you've ever heard, or a 3-way (or 4- or 5-way) tower for $4K that sounds just okay?

I would focus more on the audible results rather than how many drivers are crammed into a box.  The only time these become a practical consideration is in relation to the size of the room, the amp driving them, and your preferred volume levels.
Having owned the 2-way Proac Response 2.5 for many years, I set out a few years ago to look for new speakers, and I was definitely biased towards 3-way or 4-way designs.  After listening to a lot of speakers (the quest is chronicled in one of my older threads), I ended up with... yes... PMC Twenty.24's.  They just sounded better.  And the transmission line design deals with what you might perceive as any possible theoretical bass deficiencies.

Thank you to all who have responded so far.

To Steve,  You make several good points However, my point about "good value" has little to do with how speakers look or the appearance  of  the cabinet.

Sound quality is the most important issue. However, as I said many times before:..."Quality sound.... but at what price??"  

There has to be a glass ceiling for the "performance versus price ratio"  I anticipated comments about the quality of the components and crossover design knowing full well the importance of quality parts and also inspired execution of sound quality via engineering genius  However, how many designers fit that classification . Price does not necessarily guarantee  ingenious speaker engineering and so, outstanding sound quality. . 

To Twoleftears: Based on what I said above, don't you think the PMC .24 could be designed, built, and marketed  for less than $6000?. In the same way, that YG's first version of the Carmel speaker could have been priced at less than $18,000. The current Carmel MKII  now retails for $29,000.

Thanks to all,

S.J. 

@sunnyjim - the question I was answering in your OP was
Is there any advantage to a 2 way floor stander to a 3 way system??
However, "Value" is more a personal assessment of a product

Companies are seldom concerned about Value - they just want you to part with your hard earned cash

That's just the way of the world

As for 
"Quality sound.... but at what price??"

Whatever price the customer is prepared to pay - after all, we all have our own personal levels of "insanity"

Regards - Steve

@ Value is a tricky issue.  On many items, there's close to a 50% spread on wholesale vs. retail.  Factor in actual manufacturing costs, packaging, shipping, etc. etc. and then what's left?  Whatever that is, the manufacturer has to make a profit and defray all development costs.

That being said, speakers imported from the UK and Europe start off at a disadvantage.  As regards the Twenty.24s, yes, there's at least a perceived difference between it and a larger 3-way design from a US company manufactured in China.  Looking at a speaker from the outside, you can never tell what's going on inside.

But that's why buying lightly used or demo or whatever is so attractive.  And in my case, I bought when PMC were changing US distributors and the old distributor was selling off remaining stock at near cost.