Store auditioning and then buying on-line from others. How do you feel about it ?

Doesn't look too pretty, but who cares, right ?
inna
I do  my best to support local business. I am willing to pay more when provided value added. Its that simple.

Here’s a story. I went to a local shop Monday after Thanksgiving and auditioned headphones with my Chord Mojo DAC. Ended up buying a pair of Grado phones I auditioned. Except none in stock so dealer imdicated they could order it for me from their store on Amazon and have it shipped to me. So they did. All good. I even got a 10% cyber Monday discount

Two weeks later now and still no phones delivered. Maybe tomorrow. Turns out they had to have the phones shipped to the store first which took longer than expected and then ship them to me. They were in the store finally yesterday.

I could probably have ordered them straight on Amazon wih Amazon prime and had them sent straight to me in two days. Now I got an online discount plus dealer has to cover two shipping costs.

Just weird. Where is the profit in that?  Very inefficient process for everyone. 
In order to survive, the audio dealers have to offer payment plans or even leasing just like automobiles. 
Please visit audioloan dot com to get approved for hottest marketplace deals yay!
A truly good dealer can be an invaluable thing and sometimes you pay more money up front to spend less later. A good dealer realizes that the true audio enthusiast that comes in may not buy something that day, or may not be able to afford what he wants. Spending the time today to treat someone with respect chitchat and give good advice can pay dividends both ways.

After years of buying gear on here, getting stuff I bought hear fixed at my local dealer and listening. I finally bought a demo piece. Then I bought tubes, eventually had that piece upgraded. When I decided to buy speakers last year I decided after everything I wanted to buy something brand new from that dealer and I did. So don't been an a**hole, but, by the same token most of shopping is browsing. Be honest start a rapport with your dealer and who knows where you may end up.
It seems that we are all quite nice, at least on paper. I really wanted to audition newest Gryphons, without any intention to buy, and was invited by a NJ dealer after I simply asked the American distributor to send me the price list. I didn't go, but maybe I should've gone and offered them 'audition fees' as I myself just suggested. The reason I wanted to know the prices had nothing to do with buying new, it had to do with possible future buying used. I also wanted to inform the membership here. Also, dealers don't have all models, they can only order them. What do you do ? Drive 500 miles if others have it ? And that's if. But that's another point.
The biggest issue is finding any dealership that actually has the gear you want to buy, or think you want to buy in the first place, all under the same roof!

If I’ve been up front with the LAS of my intent to buy a XYZ and no fair deal could be made at all, I’ve no issue with buying outside my area, from another dealership or individual seller. None.

For someone to buy anything there must be, the thing itself, the desire for it or something similar to it, and a reason to buy.

Buying pre-owned has a strong appeal. It also has hidden issues and its own set of perils. Eg., the carrier.

I would prefer for obvious reasons to buy on the spot everytime. Although, price becomes an issue. At least in the places I’ve tried or been able to buy things from, obtaining a bargain or even modest discount is almost impossible.

Then too, with some dealerships there is the added attraction of arrogance and denigrating their competition, or even your own desires or thoughts openly. Usually there is no charge for that. That’s a great sales scheme, talk down on those similar items you do not carry, and belittle the buyer’s ideas outright. Nice.

But I keep trying. Again, so there’s no shipping. No confusion. No surprises. And, sadly few if any deals.

IMHO, LAS are gonna have to get on board with new sales tactics as has been said here already. Initiating a list of sorts of those current buyers who expressed a desire to trade up or in, and those with which a retail sale could not be made so the two can be put together. Maybe entering into the consignment business, or plainly, selling used gear as well. Additionally, now and then, merely moving tonnage.

Often business become shortsighted on the leaner deals regularly letting them walk, and not acknowledging the fact they could have accomplished a lot more.

They could have made someone very happy siply by putting product out there. Product which will be seen by other people and of course, these other people will ask where was it bought? Then too, they work the social angle improving community relationships with each sale, be it fat or thin they’ve made a happy buyer and that promotes word of mouth advertising. You can’t buy that sort of advertising.

Maybe too, made a loyal customer they would not otherwise have had. One which will now refer others to that place.

Good news travels fast. Bad news travels faster!

People who bought a new aBC thingy may tell a friend or three. Those who have had bad experiences with the dealer will go out of their way to tell folks they don’t even know all about it.

Happiness abides a while, resentments can last lifetimes.

One would think by now, the web has had to have made a severe impact and as such B&M dealerships should be compelled to become more competitive with their pricing, and inter personal skills. Again, in a few instances some have not.

In fact LAS must adopt new sales resources and business plans going forward. As many do not offer ease of access or IOW close proximity to many buyers. Therefore little or no actual support is ever gonna be provided the buyer following a sale.

Sadly, in a valueless society price is king.

Asking or expecting buyers to pay MSRP has long since been read its eulogy.