Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Frogman, Glad you came to the party.  Symphonic Dances has been one of my favorites. I really preferred Ashkenazy for years (I had his entire Rachmaninoff output in which I think he excels and still prefer his performance of Sym #1). I just found his performances more exciting than others available. Then I found Yuri Terirkanov and the St Petersberg PO on RCA. As exciting, and a better recording, I think. FWIW.

Off the beaten path perhaps, but I would suggest folks might enjoy the music of Joseph Suk. Some prime Czech music from the 'romantic' period which is very accessible. I can easily recommend Libor Pesek and the Czech PO. Start with 'Praga/A Fairy Tale' and/or 'Serenade for Strings/Under the Apple Tree. For something more advanced and not as accessible, perhaps initially, his Asrael Symphony. I equally enjoy Rafael Kubelik and the Bavarfian SO and Vladimir Ashkenazy and the Helsinki PO. (Can you imagine a Russian conductor and a Finish Orchestra playing Czech music? : -). 

Speaking of Czech music, composers, and another Czech pianist, Antonin Kubalek. As with Moravec (my last post) Kubalek doesn't get near the accolades he deserves. IMHO, two recordings on Dorian of Brahms work are outstanding. He has quite a few other recordings on Dorian, mostly of Czech music which are worth exploring as well.

Now for Schubert enthusiasts, If you haven't heard them yet you should listen to Volodos play Schubert's Sonata in E maj unfinished and his Sonata in G maj 394. If you are just familar with Volodos more 'theatrical recording's, I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

whart, I don't know if you are asking for a recommendation of Scriabin's piano music but just in case - 

You can get a set of the entire solo piano works performed by Maria Lettberg (8CD's)  on the Capriccio label for chump change (unbelievable in fact, I've seen it selling for less than $30.) It's a great place to start.
The reason the Jazz post has gone on forever and a day is they link to You Tube  on virtually  every post . That makes it easier for someone to know
 if that's something they might want to purchase or not . Only poster who has done that on here so far is the respected  Mapman .
I would but  have neurological problems that prevent my learning small things . It's hard to recommend specific recording  knowing that one mans
treasure may be another man's trash .

That said, I will anyway .
 Bach is so great that we tend to act as if classical started with him .
 Truth is that from the 11th to 15th century there were  composers at his level  but they wrote  things we don't listen to much today, as in religious
music .

My personal choice as best is Josquin Des Prez  who was Luther's, no mean composer himself,  favorite 
Two of his Masses are sung by The Tallis Scholars on Gimell label CDGIM 206, this was a" Gramophone Record of the Year Award" . 
To get that from the English Bible is  the highest Critical Acclaim !

Claudio Monteverdi is woefully underplayed , his magnificent Vespers are on
 a great recording, Virgin 2x1 5 616662-2  starting the greatest singer
 of period music alive , Emma Kiirkby .  There are many great recording of this , one on BIS has great sound .

Jean Philippe Rameau ,who wrote the book on harmony(literally ) ,
has a nice example of his lighter works on Naxos 8.553746.
Almost anything recorded of him is good really .

Guillaume Dufay a 15th century composer of great eloquence has a fine rendition of his work on Naxos 8.553087 by the Oxford Camerata/Summerly.   Not many dogs on Naxos, for sure the leading bang for the buck label .

John Dowland (1563-1626)  Is surely one of the greatest writers of song in English.
 Sweet recording of that and his lute music on Naxos 8.553326 by Rose Consort of Viols .

Heinrich Schutz(1585-1672) died just before Bach was born .A VERY pious
man who wrote only religious music, he is the equal of Bach in same .
Bach admired him greatly and went to school on him as was usual in those
days and which he freely admitted .
A lovely performance of his Christmas Story()Weihnachtshistorie)
is on Naxos 8.5535514 again with Summerly and his fine Oxford Singers .
I promised in my original post to list some favorite LPs, but, since they’re from so long ago I know they’ll be hard to find.
So, just generally, I’ll recommend some Living Stereo records with Reiner on Analogue Productions. These are readily available.

Stravinsky:  Song of the Nightingale
Prokofiev:  Alexander Nevsky 
Strauss:  Also Sprach Zarathustra 
Strauss:  Death and Transfiguration (not sonically great, but wonderful rendering)

If anyone wants older recommendations, please let me know.  (I still have some 3000 LP’s to go along with over 5000 CDs.)
Well, I see the Frog has gifted us another example of the art of the link !
Hope more will .
+ 17 on his recommend of the Milstein and the Pittsburgh , neither ever made a bad recording .

Fact, if you brush up a bit on your history you will increase your fun with classical music a lot .
 All music is effected by where and when it was composed  and the language of the composer .