Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Many wonderful recommendations; thanks to all. I would like to recommend the music of some less known composers and some unusual works.

A very broad historical perspective can be very rewarding and puts the music in better context, imo. The compositional evolution of the music throughout its various historical periods can be fascinating. As such, I would like to recommend a recording of the music of one of the most intriguing composers of the Renaissance period, Carlo Gesualdo. His personal life was marked by notoriety and scandal. His music was incredibly ahead of its time with the use of dissonance and chromaticism in a way that would not become commonplace for at least two hundred years. I Iove his madrigals; Book 6 in particular. Two favorite recordings:

Kassiopeia Quintet /Globe Records:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j2HbQsUIBQI

Concerto Italiano/Alliance Records:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-_F1OuMeVSw

Moving ahead almost three hundred years. One of my favorite composers, this time from the late Romantic period, Alexander Glazunov. His Violin Concerto is a favorite. Although the RCA recording by Jascha Heifetz is probably the most popular, my favorite is by the great Nathan Milstein with the Pittsburgh Symphony on EMI:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HOFt7QZ61LI

Another composer whose vocal music I really like is the Hungarian composer Zoltan Kodaly. This recording of the Girls Choir Of Budapest on Angel Records (EMI) is, as far as I know, available only on original lp, but is worth finding and copies should be available. It also includes choral works by Bela Bartok:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DMjZQWdi0Bg

Speaking of Bartok. His string quartets are described by some as “difficult” music; of course, that is entirely relative. His Quartet No.3 is a good place to start for anyone unfamiliar with his unusual harmonic language. This recording by the Kasacs Qt. on Decca is excellent:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pAu0WROpq-g

John Adams is my favorite of contemporary “Minimalist” composers. IMO, his music is in an entirely different category compared to the more well known Phillip Glass. This recording on Nonesuch Records of his chamber work “Road Movies” for violin and piano is typical Adams with emphasis on rhythmic impetus and the influence of other genres including jazz and bluegrass.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8rBUvtBfeMnGlQdvmA0K0vmXmADXwM9P

The OP mentions one my favorite works, Rachmaninov’s “Symphonic Dances”. Also one of my favorite records from the standpoint of sound. Fantastically natural timbres that remind me of the best of the Decca recordings (but a little “juicier”) which as much as one can generalize about recorded sound of different labels are my favorites. Pretty good performance overall; but, imo, kind of lackluster as far as individual solo performances are concerned; especially the woodwinds (the beautiful saxophone solo is borderline embarrassing in the intonation department). This version on Reference Recordings with Eiji Oue conducting the Minnesota Orchestra is my favorite:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CCVnO6tbYEM

Thanks for the great thread and Happy (and Musical) Holidays to all!

I’ve found that I like a certain period of modernist piano- some of the work of Scriabin. I gather that one of the best interpreters was his son in law, Sofronitsky. The vinyl selections seem pretty bleak, originating from the old USSR. Any suggestions along these lines? I’ve just bought a CD of the Moscow 1960 performance. Any others, by Sofronitsky or of other composers who were creating a modern, spare sound in that period?
One sort of stupid way I segued into this was the limited edition record of the Cloud Atlas Sextet, not the soundtrack, but a special record --a copy of a movie "prop" if you will--that was part of the film’s narrative, and produced in limited quantities. I did buy one when new, but it was badly warped. The price has since skyrocketed to ~$500 or so for a copy, and it’s not worth that to me.
Frogman, Glad you came to the party.  Symphonic Dances has been one of my favorites. I really preferred Ashkenazy for years (I had his entire Rachmaninoff output in which I think he excels and still prefer his performance of Sym #1). I just found his performances more exciting than others available. Then I found Yuri Terirkanov and the St Petersberg PO on RCA. As exciting, and a better recording, I think. FWIW.

Off the beaten path perhaps, but I would suggest folks might enjoy the music of Joseph Suk. Some prime Czech music from the 'romantic' period which is very accessible. I can easily recommend Libor Pesek and the Czech PO. Start with 'Praga/A Fairy Tale' and/or 'Serenade for Strings/Under the Apple Tree. For something more advanced and not as accessible, perhaps initially, his Asrael Symphony. I equally enjoy Rafael Kubelik and the Bavarfian SO and Vladimir Ashkenazy and the Helsinki PO. (Can you imagine a Russian conductor and a Finish Orchestra playing Czech music? : -). 

Speaking of Czech music, composers, and another Czech pianist, Antonin Kubalek. As with Moravec (my last post) Kubalek doesn't get near the accolades he deserves. IMHO, two recordings on Dorian of Brahms work are outstanding. He has quite a few other recordings on Dorian, mostly of Czech music which are worth exploring as well.

Now for Schubert enthusiasts, If you haven't heard them yet you should listen to Volodos play Schubert's Sonata in E maj unfinished and his Sonata in G maj 394. If you are just familar with Volodos more 'theatrical recording's, I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

whart, I don't know if you are asking for a recommendation of Scriabin's piano music but just in case - 

You can get a set of the entire solo piano works performed by Maria Lettberg (8CD's)  on the Capriccio label for chump change (unbelievable in fact, I've seen it selling for less than $30.) It's a great place to start.
The reason the Jazz post has gone on forever and a day is they link to You Tube  on virtually  every post . That makes it easier for someone to know
 if that's something they might want to purchase or not . Only poster who has done that on here so far is the respected  Mapman .
I would but  have neurological problems that prevent my learning small things . It's hard to recommend specific recording  knowing that one mans
treasure may be another man's trash .

That said, I will anyway .
 Bach is so great that we tend to act as if classical started with him .
 Truth is that from the 11th to 15th century there were  composers at his level  but they wrote  things we don't listen to much today, as in religious
music .

My personal choice as best is Josquin Des Prez  who was Luther's, no mean composer himself,  favorite 
Two of his Masses are sung by The Tallis Scholars on Gimell label CDGIM 206, this was a" Gramophone Record of the Year Award" . 
To get that from the English Bible is  the highest Critical Acclaim !

Claudio Monteverdi is woefully underplayed , his magnificent Vespers are on
 a great recording, Virgin 2x1 5 616662-2  starting the greatest singer
 of period music alive , Emma Kiirkby .  There are many great recording of this , one on BIS has great sound .

Jean Philippe Rameau ,who wrote the book on harmony(literally ) ,
has a nice example of his lighter works on Naxos 8.553746.
Almost anything recorded of him is good really .

Guillaume Dufay a 15th century composer of great eloquence has a fine rendition of his work on Naxos 8.553087 by the Oxford Camerata/Summerly.   Not many dogs on Naxos, for sure the leading bang for the buck label .

John Dowland (1563-1626)  Is surely one of the greatest writers of song in English.
 Sweet recording of that and his lute music on Naxos 8.553326 by Rose Consort of Viols .

Heinrich Schutz(1585-1672) died just before Bach was born .A VERY pious
man who wrote only religious music, he is the equal of Bach in same .
Bach admired him greatly and went to school on him as was usual in those
days and which he freely admitted .
A lovely performance of his Christmas Story()Weihnachtshistorie)
is on Naxos 8.5535514 again with Summerly and his fine Oxford Singers .