Paradigm Persona 3 vs 5 vs Monitor Audio

I just spent a couple of hours comparing the Paradigm Persona 3 and 5. The 3 sounded very good and I was sceptical about whether the 5, for one additional speaker, was really worth 70% more. I expected it to be very similar to the 3 with some added bass. After hearing the 5, I think it offers more than the additional bass. As good as the 3 sounded, the 5 had added depth and realism, even on music without that much bass. I listened to St. Saens 3rd Symphony and Beethoven’s 7th (2nd movement) to hear the bass and Eva Cassidy, Cecilia Bartoli and Brahms Piano Trio #1 for other characteristics.

The 3 is well priced compared the competition and certainly is a good choice. If you can afford the extra $7000, the 5 is definitely better--to me worth the significant price differential.

To complicate my choice, we then visited another dealer to hear the Monitor Audio pl300ii and it’s an excellent speaker too if you like what I do--wide soundstage, good imaging, realistic rendition of individual instruments. It’s not an easy decision between the Paradigm 5 and the Monitor. To confuse myself further, I’m going tomorrow to hear the third speaker on my short list--the KEF Reference 3 which I’ve liked in prior hearings. I hope to make a decision after that.

brownsf
brownsf,

I heard the REF 5 at a show in a big room driven by super expensive tube gear. I hate tubes but nevertheless I spent about an hour listening to the REF 5’s. I was rather disappointed in the speaker. The speaker did not disappear that well from the soundstage. I also had a bad initial listen at a dealer with the REF 1 (a different place and time). The room was terrible. However, at the same show I heard the REF 1 in a better room and it sounded amazing. So I am attributing my bad impression of the REF 5 to the tubes or room.

If you are to willing to pay the price of the REF 5 I would seriously look at a used KEF BLADE(2) for about similar or lower price. If you have room for the side firing woofers of the BLADES there is nothing in the REFERENCE line that can compete with the BLADES. I have heard them with all type of gear, cheap to mega expensive and I have never been disappointed.
Just saw demo Blades--not Blades 2-- for sale at a dealer for 20,000.  Problem is the WAF.  Some say that the KEF Reference 3 actually sounds better than the more expensive Reference 5.  As mentioned, I haven't been able to hear the 5.  My equipment is Audio Research tube amp and preamp. 
Yysantabarbera, you are correct sir. The Blades do sound better then the Reference series.  The Blades are more open and have a cleaner midrange. 

The Ref 3 vs the 5 is not much of an issue, the Ref 3 and the Ref 5 sound identical expect for the larger feeling and deepr bass of the Ref 5.

We also have a demo pair of Kef Blade 1 in the upgraded paint with a few minor scratches and dings for $18k.

The Ref 1 are fantastic and sound amazing when setup in certain scenarios, the Beryilium drivers are cleaner then the Aluminium and the soundstage on the Persona's is just more holographic. 

The Ref 1 do have a deeper bass then the Persona B, the $1k difference gets a Persona B close to the cost of adding a JL Audio E110 which is a fast sub. 

Bownsf, you can't go wrong with either the KEF or the Paradigms, to bad you are not visiting the New York tristate area, as we have both lines on display and can easily demo both under the same circumstances.

As I agreeded with your wife the Persona's are the cleaner of the two speakers and those Beryilium drivers are just extraordinary, your dealer may have the Personas too close together we have found that moving them far apart and then towing them in works like magic. 

https://www.facebook.com/122499304489958/photos/pcb.1632190780187462/1632198643520009/?type=3&th

You don't get a huge image it is fantastic for one or two listeners but boy is it magical. 

If you visit your dealer maybe have him move the speakers further apart and then play with the toe in to focus the image. 

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ

The dealer did move the Persona 5s further apart and it made a positive difference in the soundstage.  As for my wife's comments about the strings sounding harsh on the KEF Reference 3, we played the same CDs on several other speakers--Gamut, Persona 5 and my current Proacs.  Guess what?  Same issue.  Clearly that problem is with the source material. Maybe I should use different CDs or vinyl for auditions. Wish I were a little closer to NY but I'm not and have no planned trips.  
Well Brownsf, we would have relished the opportunity to work with you.

We are one of the very few dealers to sell the Kef, and the Personas and of course with our other favorites, Dali, Legacy, ATC. 

The Personas are really amazing, but can be a little more finiky to work with. The clarity of those Beryilium drivers is just remarkable. 

If you use good matching electronics, cabling and a source you will be amazed at just how close to the real thing the Personas can come to.

We had a client with a Steinway in the same room, we played the same piece on both systems and the Personas were very close to the real Piano.

If you remember we were the dealers that had you slow down and not jump on the Wilson's that you were being offered. 

The reaility is that the system you are looking at now with either the KEF's or the Personas are just fantastic. The Persona's I think are the more magical of the two speakers, but the KEF Ref series are pretty awesome. 

If you ever are in our neck of the woods, please stop in for a visit.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ