Paradigm Persona 3 vs 5 vs Monitor Audio

I just spent a couple of hours comparing the Paradigm Persona 3 and 5. The 3 sounded very good and I was sceptical about whether the 5, for one additional speaker, was really worth 70% more. I expected it to be very similar to the 3 with some added bass. After hearing the 5, I think it offers more than the additional bass. As good as the 3 sounded, the 5 had added depth and realism, even on music without that much bass. I listened to St. Saens 3rd Symphony and Beethoven’s 7th (2nd movement) to hear the bass and Eva Cassidy, Cecilia Bartoli and Brahms Piano Trio #1 for other characteristics.

The 3 is well priced compared the competition and certainly is a good choice. If you can afford the extra $7000, the 5 is definitely better--to me worth the significant price differential.

To complicate my choice, we then visited another dealer to hear the Monitor Audio pl300ii and it’s an excellent speaker too if you like what I do--wide soundstage, good imaging, realistic rendition of individual instruments. It’s not an easy decision between the Paradigm 5 and the Monitor. To confuse myself further, I’m going tomorrow to hear the third speaker on my short list--the KEF Reference 3 which I’ve liked in prior hearings. I hope to make a decision after that.

brownsf
I've heard all extensively, and I'd say Persona for sure. 

There is something special about having the exact same material mid and tweeter as on the personas.  Once you spend a lot of time with them, you start to realize how much of an advantage that is.  It's hard to appreciate with short auditions.
Anyone compared the Persona 3F against the ELAC Adante AF-61 or the Revel f208be?  I'll likely purchase one of these if 100 tube watts is a good match.
Electroslacker the Elacs will sound great for the money but don't have the tremendous resolution of the pure Beryillium drivers for sheer bang for the buck the Adante's are great. 

Bownsf, 

As mentioned before we sell both the Kefs, and the Paradigm Personas, and we sell the Legacy's which use AMT drivers.

Personally I would go with the Personas, setup correctly nothing under $25-30k can beat them.

In 30 years of professional audio never heard a set of speakers that were this affordable yet offered the highest level of resolution, with unbelievable imaging, compound that with stunning cabinetry, small footprint, and high efficiency makes the Personas hard to beat.

Brownsf, your wife is correct, the Ref 3 are a bit more forward then the Personas, which have a slightly silkier top end with an overall clearer midrange, the KEF's do offer a very wide soundstage, we use our Ref 3 with a matching Kef Ref 2 center channel in a dedicated Home Theater that rocks. 

Your obsevations about the Pesona 5F are correct, the large cabinet makes the entire presenation bigger and more effortless. 

If you match them with good electronics, and cabling, you will have a speaker that is very hard to beat at 2-3 times the price, the Personas are really that good!

If we can be of any further guidance please feel free to PM us. 

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor  NJ

Dave you said in another thread that the the Legacy Aeris will beat out speakers costing 50k I believe. Now you are saying nothing under 25-30k can beat the Persona 3? Which you sell both. You never say IMO or anything of the like. It's obvious you have an agenda. Please don't respond with a novel. 
Post removed