PS Audio PWT and PWD MK II--recent acquisiton

I began a discussion of HDMI cables for I2S under the Cables heading, but my observations and questions about the PWT and PWD MK II are more appropriate here, I think. Having had some time to put this combination through its paces in my system (Modwright KWI-200 integrated, Proac Response D-2 speakers, Rel S-2 sub, Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval speaker cables, Clarus Aqua XLRs, Pangea HDMI) I'm not very happy with what I'm hearing. Yes, the two digital sources (DAC & transport) produce impressive resolution, spatial sense, and detail, but in a way that strikes me as very unmusical. In fact, though there's no discernible "glare" in the sound, it is extremely piercing and seems like it could damage my hearing if I listen too long at even reasonable volumes. 

My Cambridge Audio CXU universal player is much more pleasant to listen to even if it doesn't quite match the hyper-resolution of the PWT. I have a Wyred4Sound reclocker inserted between the CA player and the DAC, connected with Audioquest Carbon coax cables. This produces a much more musical presentation.

I'm open to suggestion here, though. Anybody experienced this, and can you suggest a remedy? My first inclination is just to sell off the PWT as a failed experiment.
cooper52
 2.0.2 and 2.03 firmware are not compatible with later PWDII builds  such as mine and most likely yours too. 
Further adventures: trying out different firmware versions, and yes there are slight differences between a few of them, I’ve settled on the latest for both the PWT and PWDII. Sorry I won’t get to hear the earlier versions but as bsme85 points out, they’re not compatible with my DAC.

The issue of shrillness is not really solved, but having done some extensive comparisons between the PWT and my Cambridge Audio CXU, it would be a noticeable step backwards to rely on the latter for my CDs because the image, detail, and resolution of the PWT are so compelling that it would be like going back to high school after completing a graduate degree. Regardless of how much fun you had in high school (I didn’t, but that’s a different story) you wouldn’t want to go back, having graduated and moved on.

I’m pretty sure a speaker transplant would give me what I want, but where to go from the Proacs? They’re very appealing speakers, if a little forward and bright.
Dynaudio C20s, Totem Model 1 Signatures if you can find a pair, Dynaudio Special 40s, or any model from Legacy Audio in your budget, however they use AMT tweeters and I'm not sure how you'll find them. I think your main issue may be you just aren't used to such detail, and of course the Proacs may be a bit bright.
Thanks for your suggestions, nitewulf. It appears (from my internet research anyway) that the speakers you suggest (with the possible exception of the Totems) are all extremely accurate but rather clinical in their presentation. I've heard Dynaudio speakers in the past and found them rather uninvolving. I was, however, impressed by a pair of Totem Element Fires a dealer let me audition. Same dealer demoed a pair of Sonus Faber Olympica 1s that I liked, but how they'd sound in my system I'm not sure. Anyway, new, these speakers are out of my price range.

Tying back in to the main subject of this thread, it may be that very resolving, matter-of-fact speakers would be what the PWT/PWDII combination respond to best, but this will take some experimenting. It's just the upper frequencies (probably up in the tweeter range, like 2Khz and above) that give this shrill edge. Below that, I love what I'm hearing.