Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
The focus by Schubert and others on chamber music reminds me that a number of critics and many classical music aficionados consider the Schubert String Quintet, Op. 163, D. 956, also known as Schubert’s Cello Quintet, to be the single greatest piece of chamber music ever written. It’s certainly among the greatest IMO.

I’m also reminded that it is under-represented in my collection. I have the recording by the Alban Berg Quartet with Heinrich Schiff, from the early days of digital, and the early 1970s recording by the Juilliard String Quartet with Bernard Greenhouse. (They also recorded that work in digital form in the 1980s, when some of the membership of the Juilliard Quartet was different). Both are fine performances, but leave something to be desired sonically.

Anyone else have some recommended recordings of the Cello Quintet?

Best regards,
-- Al

al:

I have the D956 by the Emerson String Quartet with Mstislav Rostropovich (DG 1992). Sound quality is very good -- except the cellos are a bit forward and prominent -- and the performance is robotically flawless, with the only quibble is the adagio could use a touch more passion. I had this since it first came out and have been playing it regularly ever since. 

Since we're on Schubert's chamber music: 
Schubert: Piano Trios Opp. 99 & 100,  Andreas Staier, Daniel Sepec & Roel Dieltiens -
This is a period instrument recording and I would highly recommend it as a change of pace. Wonderful sound and an excellent performance.
Al, well you can’t have too many of Op.163 , seems to be the Holy Grail for string players.
I like the Berg/Schiff myself bit I'm not very fussy over sound as a rule .
One I don’t own that I remember had good sound on the ASW label with
the English Lindsay Qt. with a cello player whose name I forget .
My absolute fave is the Hungarian Festetics Qt with the great Belgian player Wieland Kujiken on cello. Arcana label . Hungarian ensembles stay together forever and audiences in Budapest are a tough crowd .Only place I’ve seen in recent times where audiences are mostly young people who are crazy about classical and very knowledgeable !