Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
I can believe this - I just spent half an hour posting and when I hit the post button it was lost, and guess who's sorry! 

Anyway - gs5556, Re your Schubert recommendation, until I heard Mackerras and the OAE  doing the 9th (and 8th) I don't think ever really appreciated it that much. I just love this version and prefer it to all others. Previously I always felt it was a bit too "Great". I felt the same way about a lot of performances of Beethoven's until I heard Harnoncourt's performances of the symphonies, just not a strongly.

Re Mahler's 7th - I like Geilen's 7th, and his others as well, however for some reason I always come back to Levine's 7th. For me his experience in the theater influenced it - it is just more dramatic, mysterious, etc.

Charles1dad, I just can't resist recommending Maria Kliegel's work. A not so well known cellist but unjustifiably IMHO. For a sample check out 'Romantic Cello Show Pieces', Virtuso Cello Encores', 'Virtuso Cello Showpieces', and Sonatas of George Onslow. 

And then there is Janos Starker doing 'Romantic Cello Favorites', the music of David Popper on Delos.

And for something a bit difference check out 'Our American Roots' on Delos. Music of Gershwin, Barber, Walker and Copland. Mostly arrangements for Cello and Piano.

My contribution today is the solo piano music of Ivan Moravec. Two of his records that are just outstanding are his Beethoven Sonatas and a compilation of Mozart, Beethoven, and Brahams. This level of pianoship should not be missed by anyone who cares!  He was a giant! He has a limited recorded  output but these are a dozen or so more should you agree 

Thanks so much for all of the recording recommendations, just fantastic. I have a lot of purchasing, discovery and listening ahead of me. I am looking forward to it with much enthusiasm and anticipation.
Charles
+1 for the Moravec , I heard him play some Brahams live once upon a time , an exceptional  artist .
 Schubert, re: Guarneri, Debussy/Ravel--there's an LP of the later edition of the Guarneri playing the Ravel only.  Two movements per side.  The playing and the recording are both very fine.  It's called "French Album No. 1" and well worth the money and effort if you can find it.
+2 for Ivan Moravec.  One of the most underrated of pianists.
Wonderful musician.

schubert, 
i agree with you about his Brahms playing.