Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
I bought a London Treasury series copy of this record when I was a teenager, and still listen to the recording, though I have accumulated a variety of different copies, I still do not own the first Decca. But, in its various incarnations, it is a wonderful performance and recording and short of the original Decca copy, can be gotten cheaply:
https://www.discogs.com/master/view/551677
rvpiano, FWIW I'll contribute a bit, but since I (and many others) have already posted in the past to lists of best/favorites etc and I'm too old to 
just replicate those recommendations, I'm just going to post about music/performers/genre that I'm currently listening to, without regard to professional competency or audiophile credentials. I really like this stuff and It sounds good to me. That's it folks!

I'm currently focusing (mostly) on music for the solo piano and recently discovered a label that supports some newer pianists performing more uncommon/ unusual pieces along with some common ones, some eclectic, but all assessible  and  enjoyable,  in balanced compilations. Happily the audio  is also excellent.

Here are a few on the Steinway & Son's label:

Get Happy - Jenny Lin
Grand Romance - Jeffery Biegel
LaValse - Sean Chen
The Rascal and the Sparrow - Antonio  Pompa- Bald
Exiles Cafe- Lara Downes
American Again - Lara Downes
Siegfried Idyll - David Deveau     

Today I'm having a Gilbert & Sullivan fest! Love that stuff.   Still sing it but now in the shower only. :-)
Post removed 
Here are my favorite classical guitar albums:

Carlos Barbosa-Lina and Sharon Isbin, Rhapsody in Blue/West Side Story. (concord ConcertoCCD 42012)

Christopher Parkening, Parkening Plays Bach.  (Angel CDC 7 47191 2).  Well, any Early Christopher Parkening album.

And some great piano:

The Art of Martha Argerich (DG).

Brahms Piano Works, Op. 116, 117, and 119, Stephen Bishop Kovacevich.

A little different, but amazing, mandolin:

Chris Tille, Bach:  Sonatas and Paritas, Vol. 1.

great choral/vocal selections:

Brahms Alto Rhapsody, Gesang der Parkening, and Schicksalslied, Robert Shaw and Atlanta Symphony.

Schubert Songs for a Male Chorus, Robert Shaw 

Mahler Songs of a Wayfarer, Songs on the Death of Children and Ruckert-Lieder, Thomas Hampson and Leonard Bernstein