Equalizers- love them or hate them and why?

I am new to Agon, but haven't seen many audio equalizers listed in high end audio systems. Why?
bronxer99
A crossover is a type of filter, gdn!

If you don't know what it's doing, best to leave it out of your signal chain. :) 

Best,

E
I tried them, but realized that crossovers affected my attempts to flatten a signal. A system with DEQX seems to be a better way around this.
B
I second this.  Once my room was addressed with room treatment, I added the DEQX.  I’ve found that the time delay and correct xover on the mains to help center the soundstage and integrate the single sub has been the most beneficial thing.  I use ever so slight EQ’ing at 60hz, about 2db and that’s it.
Like anything else, EQ's can be a + or a -....

Apply judiciously....*shrug*S*

Personally...I 'apply' 2; one in the 'puter,the other a 'stand alone' digital.  Either can be applied to primarily 'room correction' while the other can do monitor and measure on my 'DIY pursuits'....

Both are as flexible as I could care to use....been doing 'room eq' for 'bout 20+ years in this or some similar fashion...given the spaces I've had to 'play in', wouldn't think of 'being home without it'....;)
I use a Velodyne SMS - 1 to  apply low pass to my sub and EQ a nasty room mode centered around 40 hz

My amps can take just about any el34 or 6l6 variant so that's how I "EQ"  my speakers....  

My system doesn't have them, but I think most audiophiles around here who are unsatisfied with their sound would be better off with them.  If I ever buy and "end of life" system, it would probably include an Accuphase or Mac integrated with tone controls.  Plus, whenever I recommend an amplifier to a budding audiophile, I always recommend a Marantz or Cambridge with tone controls.  Just makes them happier.