Equalizers- love them or hate them and why?

I am new to Agon, but haven't seen many audio equalizers listed in high end audio systems. Why?
bronxer99
I avoid them in my mains, and use them heavily in my center and subwoofer.

Part of it is my signal chain. I spent $2k for my DAC, $1K for my preamp, plus amps. I really don't want to put in more signal processing in between the two if avoidable. I really like the use of digital only EQ's though, if I really was interested I would go that route.

In my subwoofer however, it is indispensable. It is impossible to get very good integration, and smooth, tight sounding bass with a single sub otherwise in the average room. +- 20dB dips are no joke. The equivalent of 200x the power output in narrow bass bands really makes it impossible to turn the subwoofer up. Not to mention getting the phase/slope right.

Best,

E

Every hardware equalizer I have heard or used sucked.  Most of the software equalizers also suck.

On the other hand, the parametric EQ in Amarra is quite excellent.  You can use it to tweak the room response and speaker response.  Very transparent, like their volume control, at least up to -9dB.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

From reports of some that have used these here, on their good systems, this seems to be very good. Not much to look at, but has what it takes inside. 
http://www.schiit.com/products/loki

Cheers George

I tried them, but realized that crossovers affected my attempts to flatten a signal.  A system with DEQX seems to be a better way around this.
B
A crossover is a type of filter, gdn!

If you don't know what it's doing, best to leave it out of your signal chain. :) 

Best,

E