Anthem vs Krell vs Meridian

Has anybody done a direct comparison between a Anthem D1,
a Krell HTS 7.1 and a Meridian G61, G68 or 861? I don't need video switching. I am just trying to get the best sound out of a processor. Any info on these processors would be very helpful.
michaelmk
Dan -

I would like to clarify that my comments about the MC12 were primarily related to 2-channel not multi-channel.

I am probably 50/50 HT/2-channel so I spent quite a bit of time comparing them. I still feel the 861 is significantly better in 2-channel than the Lex.

Both are fine processors - and you are correct about the complexity and card cost of the 861. With that said I am still very happy with my decision.

Jim
My experience was dramatically opposite from Freemand's [I hate when people do this in one of my threads!]. Perhaps he is referring to another HTS and not the HTS 7.1.

I got a smokin deal on an HTS 7.1 while I owned an AVM 20. My intention was to flip the 7.1 and make $2K profit [$1.5K if I wanted to sell it overnight] and give much of it back to the guy I bought it from because he is a friend.

For kicks I stuck it in my system right next to the Anthem. The difference was outright huge! The anthem sold a couple of days later. The 7.1 had a ton more bottom end and was just crystal clear in my side by side comparison...and just on two-channel pass-through. I have had several pieces of gear come through and my 7.1 keeps proving its mettle much to my chagrin [I want a change…and I think it’s ugly as sin].

I did have a Meridian transport as a demo once. It was extremely impressive and makes me confident to say if you went with Meridian you won’t likely be disappointed. Just as a transport it bettered a lot of other players. Again, the HTS 7.1 was my DAC for it, and it was still breathtaking. I can only imagine what is would be like with gear it was designed to work with.

FWIW, at the time I did the AVM 20/HTS 7.1 comparison, was using a Lexicon RT-10, Legacy Focus 20/20 speakers and monoblock amps. The system was very strong in the bottom end until it began to roll off at around 16 Hz. So bottom end was very easily discernable at the time. Since then, my system has become much more resolving and the 7.1 is still very good, but it is admittedly the weak link in my system.

I would certainly hope the D1 is a significant step up from the AVM 20.
Thanks for the feedback. I should have been more detailed on what I need. I want the processor for 80-90 percent movies and 10-20 percent multi-channel music.

I will play 2 channel music thru a system consisting of Oracle, Tri-Planer, Lyra feeding a Pass Labs Xono, Esoteric DV50S DVD player(Highly modified by Reference Audio Mods) Pass Labs pre amp, Pass X-600 monos and Legacy Focous speakers. Milti-channel speakers are also from Legacy and a 5 channel amp from Pass Labs. All cables are Synergistic.

I guess want I want is a processor that will go with the rest of my system.

Thanks again for taking time to respond to this.
Thanks for the feedback. I should have been more detailed on what I need. I want the processor for 80-90 percent movies and 10-20 percent multi-channel music.

I will play 2 channel music thru a system consisting of Oracle, Tri-Planer, Lyra feeding a Pass Labs Xono, Esoteric DV50S DVD player(Highly modified by Reference Audio Mods) Pass Labs pre amp, Pass X-600 monos and Legacy Focous speakers. Milti-channel speakers are also from Legacy and a 5 channel amp from Pass Labs. All cables are Synergistic.

I guess what I want is a processor that will go with the rest of my system.

Thanks again for taking time to respond to this.
Hands down...Meridian.

IMO, the Anthem doesn't come close. The Krell is better than before. So many hated Krell because its "cold." The designers have revamped a few things and its products have really improved over the recent year or so.

However, hands down its the Meridian. Its, IMO the best anything out there. Be it 2CH (why you would even use it for 2CH is beyond me), MC, whatever. The 861...it gets no better! We won't even discuss Trifield. It was revolutionary in its inception some years ago. No one have come up with anything better to date. The 861 can be somewhat attention grabbing, but once you get the thing up and running....its all over.