Need some help soldering Binding posts.

I need to replace my posts on my speakers.I've an excellent soldering station
and will be using cardas solder.
All binding posts have a hole what is its function?
When applying the solder I've noticed I must use more and apply over a greater area,Is this correct?
Is it ok to use flux on the post and cable then solder?
Any advice.

Mike
hiendmmoe
Solder should never be used to glue things together. The connection should be made physically sound first.
Use PLENTY of HEAT - we use TWO 35W soldering irons when soldering binding posts - and +1 to the comment above - there should first be a very solid electrical connection then apply solder to make it stick.

Good Listening

Peter
"Solder should never be used to glue things together. The connection should be made physically sound first."

How do I make a solid connection to a Cardas binding post without using solder as the glue. It cannot be done because there are no set screws on a Cardas binding post.

This is why I do not like to post online because someone always comes along and thinks that I did it wrong. Do you think you know more than Sonic Craft and Cardas?
I have a high wattage iron I use mainly for Cardas binding posts.  I think it is 80 watts but don't recall exactly.  After the iron is fully heated up, I place the tip firmly against the outside of the post while the wire I intend to attach to it is resting in the opening of the post.  (The wire is tinned in advance.). After 5 seconds or so, the interior of the post is hot enough that I can apply Cardas solder to the interior of the opening and it flows quickly and smoothly over the wire and along its sides where it is touching the post.  I only use enough solder to coat the wire and have it join smoothly to the post.  Then I quickly place the flat tip of a screwdriver on the wire and press it firmly against the wire and post while the solder cools.  To be on the safe side, I leave the screwdriver there for 10 or 15 seconds until I am sure the joint is secure.  The keys are to make sure there is a good mechanical connection, use enough heat, make sure the joint is fully heated up before solder is applied, and don't let anything move before the solder cools.  Works every time.
"Use PLENTY of HEAT - we use TWO 35W soldering irons when soldering binding posts - and +1 to the comment above - there should first be a very solid electrical connection then apply solder to make it stick."

As I mentioned in my initial post per Cardas, I now use a 300 watt soldering iron with some flux paste in the binding post where the wire will lay. I can assure you that it is a night and day difference in both how the solder acts and it also results in a higher fidelity sound. I believe that this is why readers should not jump to a conclusion right away that results in them simply parroting what they have read before in other posts.