Looking for AVR alternative to my B&K for my JM's

I'm currently researching "big" receivers, and I'm not at all happy with my current B&K. I'll be looking to dump my 307 off as soon as I can find a satisfactory replacement. Please note that the reason I want to loose my B&K is not for the stereo music quality, it's the way I listen to movies and Cable TV.
First I'm going to list my equipment/config, and then I'll list what I'm looking for.

B&K 307 7.1
JM Lab Cobalts: 815, Center, Sub and rear SR's
Sony 400 Disc changer linked via optic
Motorola Digital cable box from Comcast.

No matter what I watch, DVD or TV, the processing of the theatre sound, DTS, THX whatever. It just doesn't sound that great. I contacted B&K today to see if they have a newer 507 in the works that will have HDMI ports, nothing.

Obviously I'm willing to spend $2k or even more for the best current (and future) sound quality. Again, I cannot say enough about the amazing music quality! It's like an orgasm sitting in that sweat spot with some Miles Davis going or other good music. The best part about B&K is that the sound is so damn full without being loud. My JM Lab's are just amazingly bright, so I can't just pick any receiver for these speakers. The B&K almost has a tube-like warmth that really tames down and balances the brightness of the JM's.

That said, I think that what I'd like in a receiver is superior music quality, no less than what I have already but also one that will perform beautifully in the HT arena. Maybe even handle the HD True audio and HDMI technology that is emerging this year. I am really spoiled for music now, and just want to get something that will do my future 1080 HD justice, maybe a PS3 to boot.

Any ideas? Taking my speakers to the store to listen is probably not an option since I might like to get something online and save a half a grand, obviously.
128x128headshot
Headshot,

It is very odd that you are happy with music, but not-HT. Most folks around here seem to be in the opposite camp. They typically like the HT sound from their setups, but strive for improved music performance. That said, I'm guessing you have a setup issue with the B&K. I previously owned a B&K AVR-202 (predecessor to the 305/307) on 2 different occassions and I always had issues with the ergonomics and setup. I've owned lots of different HT receivers, and the B&K was the only one that caused me any difficulty in setup. I think it was simply a different philosophy from other units I've owned and it wasn't intuitive to me because of my preconceptions based on experience with other receivers.

So, are you confident that the B&K setup is correct? If not, call/e-mail B&K Tech support. They may be able to step you through it.

If you are confident that the setup is good, but you just don't like the HT performance of the B&K, it may cost you a lot of money to improve on it. I think you may find that an effort to improve HT performance may result in a loss of music performance. I don't have any experience with higher level HT receivers, so I can't make a recommendation, however, based on post I've read around here, you may need to go to HT seperates (pre-amp/processor, multi-channel power amp) to better the sound you're currently getting.

TIC
Check out the Yamaha RX-V2700. I've seen one of the dealers here (American Home Theater?) carry them at decent discounts. Disclaimer: I have NO affiliation with them at all.
Good Listening!
The B&K is one of the best sounding receivers you will find.I will gather to say check your set up menu as there are infinit ways to set it up.As for passing a 1080p signal and the new hd audio formats,I don't think none are out yet.Better to wait a spell.