PS Audio PWT and PWD MK II--recent acquisiton

I began a discussion of HDMI cables for I2S under the Cables heading, but my observations and questions about the PWT and PWD MK II are more appropriate here, I think. Having had some time to put this combination through its paces in my system (Modwright KWI-200 integrated, Proac Response D-2 speakers, Rel S-2 sub, Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval speaker cables, Clarus Aqua XLRs, Pangea HDMI) I'm not very happy with what I'm hearing. Yes, the two digital sources (DAC & transport) produce impressive resolution, spatial sense, and detail, but in a way that strikes me as very unmusical. In fact, though there's no discernible "glare" in the sound, it is extremely piercing and seems like it could damage my hearing if I listen too long at even reasonable volumes. 

My Cambridge Audio CXU universal player is much more pleasant to listen to even if it doesn't quite match the hyper-resolution of the PWT. I have a Wyred4Sound reclocker inserted between the CA player and the DAC, connected with Audioquest Carbon coax cables. This produces a much more musical presentation.

I'm open to suggestion here, though. Anybody experienced this, and can you suggest a remedy? My first inclination is just to sell off the PWT as a failed experiment.
cooper52
Is the PWD MK2 equipped with the bridge? Either way, set it to Native or Native X (with the bridge installed), this will ensure there's no up-sampling and set the filter to auto. I personally found the PWD MK2 with the bridge installed to be a very musical/natural sounding dac. The detail/resolution is there, but that's desirable. The volume should also be set very high (100%), and the actual volume should be controlled by your integrated.
Doesn't have the bridge, and I do have it set to NativeX. Generally, I'm using PS Audio's suggestion to use Filter 1, but I've tried pretty much every setting and the differences, while discernible, are not major. I have the volume set to 95, but I'll try it all the way up to 100. Additionally, I have also tried connecting the DAC to my amp bypassing its pre-amp stage and using the PWD II as the preamp. It's actually worse that way.
I loooove my PWDII, though I use it with the Bridge II instead of the PWT.  Into my integrated, I find the sweetest spot on the volume control between 70 and 78.  NativeX and Auto filter.  Make sure you've updated the firmware to the latest.

Mine's far, far from shrill.  Keep tweaking and you just might be rewarded.
Thanks for the suggestion--I've now broached the subject on the PS Audio site's community forum. We'll see...