Malcom also played with a relatively clean tone without distortion, just the right amount of natural overdrive plugged directly into a Marshall tube head.

Yes, Steve! Just enough "crunch", but not too much. Maybe it was those Gretsch guitars Malcolm preferred. Gibsons can easily sound too thick, with too much sustain. The best rhythm guitar sound I ever played with in a band was a Gibson Les Paul Jr. plugged into a Fender Deluxe Reverb, cranked up just enough to give it "bite".

A great scene in "Hail Hail Rock 'n' Roll", the documentary Keith Richards made of Chuck Berry, was the one on stage rehearsing for the live show. Keith is trying to help Chuck with his tone, and Chuck is having none of it. Chuck actually likes the horrid, overly-distorted sound he is getting out of his guitar and amp, and doesn't care what Richards thinks. Keith ends up feeding a signal from Chucks guitar down into the basement of the concert hall, where he has set up another amp. THAT amp sounds great, and is the one Keith recorded, I believe. He may have also sent the signal from the mic on that amp back to the house P.A., unbeknownst to Chuck!

Gretsch White Falcon - love the tone - darn heavy though!

National Tricone resonator - great for slide 

Rickenbakker for that jangle sound

I just love tone, attack, sustain and crunch 
Three great guitar sounds, shadorne! I’m working with a guy now who plays a White Falcon, and it sounds just fantastic. I knew a guy who had a Rickenbacker 360 12-string, and that darn thing was impossible to keep in tune. Fine for recording, but not live shows. Petty could do it, but he had a guitar tech. Rock Stars can afford one, but not mere working musicians!
R.I.P. Malcolm. Rock solid rhythm guitarist. Only a few weeks after his elder brother, the great George Young passed.

Another great Rhythm guitarist not mentioned, Tom Fogarty. What a great Rhythm player!