Looking for a music server, sans DAC.

For music playback on my primary system I currently use a MAC Mini into a Bryston BDA-1 DAC via an Audiophilleo USB/SPDIF converter. I am considering replacing the MAC Mini with a Music server that can access redbook quality AIFF files from an external hard drive, either downloading them to an internal drive or playback directly from the external one. The ability to download CDs directly onto the internal drive is also desired. I do not stream or download music off the internet except using my Macbook Pro laptop computer on a secondary system.

I look forward to hear from anyone familiar with the Bryston BDP-1 regarding how it will work for my application? I would consider purchasing one used should I be convinced this the best route. 

Also asking for advice on other music servers I should consider given a budget under $2000. If said server has a CD drive for downloading that would be a plus, however I could use the Macbook Pro for this.

Are there servers that can accommodate an external CD drive for downloading?

Thanks in advance for any help with my search.

mesch
2pysop, Yes I plan on keeping the Bluesound Vault 2on my list. probably keep my DAC in place as I use the XLR inputs on my Pathos integrated. Do you use yours to rip CDs directly? If so have you had any problems?  I have seen user reviews stating they have had problems ripping several CDs. Maybe that issue has been corrected. 
Per some of the other posters the bluesound vault sounds like a good option. If you’re looking for better sound however, I would also consider either an Aurender or Melco music streamer server as well. 
Mesch- I don’t have the Vault 2, I have the Node 2. I have been using Itunes to rip CDs using the drive on my MacBook Pro to a MyCloud NAS. The Bluesound Node 2 picks up my music via my wireless network at home. In my case I had to work on the album art, as Bluesound uses only certain tags in the folder system to marry up the music and art in a folder (cover.jpg). I had not heard of people having problems with the Vault not recognizing CDs. If you are really worried about that, you could get the Node 2 and keep all your music on a HDD or NAS and use whatever cd drive you choose to rip the CDs. I don’t know if the Vault 2 has an option to bypass the ripper and use your own.

2pysop, I  will consider the use of the Node 2 to playback my AIFF file via HDD. I did not realize it would play files off HDD. I could continue to rip cds  to HDD using computer, basically have a backup of all files on the HDD used for playback.

nycjlee, I have read a review of the Melco N1A and have that on my list to research. Thanks!
Hey Mesch, just a quick note. If you go with a Node 2 keep in mind that your HDD must be connected to your network. The Node 2 will connect wired or wireless to your router and have access to the music.
If you have the time I had posted some info on the Node 2 when I was setting up file folders for artwork, Itunes does not do a great job of grabbing artwork for albums.https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/bluesound-node-2-question/post?highlight=%2Balbum%2Bart%2Bblu...