Room acoustics

How about a thread on room acoustics and ways to improve the in-room performance of your system and its speakers? Subjects covered could be the physics of room response, measurement of response in your own room, and how to deal with imperfections, above and below the Schroeder frequency, like damping, bass traps, speaker positioning, (multiple) subwoofers, and dsp equalization. Other subjects could be how to create a room with lower background noise for greater dynamic range, building construction, or what to do in small rooms.
I am a bit busy just now, but as soon as I have time I will try to kick off with some posts and links.
willemj
@toddverrone are you able to set some limits in your waterfall plots? Maybe just the first chart to begin with. Set frequency 10-500HZ, 30-90 dbs, and time to 500ms. Then we can read the data better.
Yes, Room acoustics play an invaluable role in listening pleasure. I bought a pair of used speakers listening to them in a acoustically professionally treated room, took them home and wasn't even close. They are good speakers but not as good as what I had heard. I was buying them on what I had heard their in their room.  So you have to be aware of that when buying equipment. When it comes to room acoustics just read and learn on how to make room sound better. Unless you have 20 or so grand and get it done professionally. Enjoy the music!!! 

ronniemo
Yes, Room acoustics play an invaluable role in listening pleasure. I bought a pair of used speakers listening to them in a acoustically professionally treated room, took them home and wasn’t even close. They are good speakers but not as good as what I had heard. I was buying them on what I had heard their in their room. So you have to be aware of that when buying equipment. When it comes to room acoustics just read and learn on how to make room sound better. Unless you have 20 or so grand and get it done professionally. Enjoy the music!!!

>>>>One can’t help wondering what other goodies the system you heard had going for it, lurking about, besides visible acoustic treatments. Perhaps things you couldn’t see. Super expensive cables, perhaps. Blue Fuses? Some quantum thingies. Things the OP would undoubtedly call oil of the snake. 🐍After all, they ARE trying to sell you something. Speakers or amps, or whatever. So it would behoove them to get the sound in the room as good as possible, you know to maximize the chance of a sale. On the other hand, there is a specialty audio store in this area that use to have a policy of no room treatments and no tweaks. The idea being they wanted to present the pure sound of the various components in the system. Which kind of doesn’t make any sense either.

Surprised no one has mentioned the room build itself, or as a core component of the acoustic environment. If one has an oportunity, building a room with acoustic design forethought, aids a lot to improve the overall acoustical environment. Of course, if one does not have this opportunity, then all of these other suggested methods, which help to tune the room, are also great. 

My room was built with acoustics in mind from the onset. 31’x19’ is the core, resil channel all walls, dual wall construction on back wall, (2x4 studs each, 5/8 inch quiet rock each layer (530), Roxul safe and sound each wall assembly)), sidewalls and one back walll (surrounded by concrete (5/8 quiet rock 2x4 construction with roxul safe and sound), ceiling (5 inch acoustic spray foam insulation, roxul safe and sound, double layer quiet rock 5/8 inch 530). Room measured with Phonic and Rives Audio measuring tools, in addition to Velodyne Sub EQ for low frequency measurements. After all that, the room still needs some spot treatments. I have natural stone columns, and partial natural stone front wall, to aid in natural diffusion. The result, one of the best complements was from a fellow audio friend, who dabbles in the extreme exotic who said that my system sounded the best compared to other extremely expensive systems. It’s the room to blame👍😀