Restocking Fees, 30-Day Free Trials

You are really curious about that $25k amp. The online dealer will send it to you on a trial basis with a 15% 'restocking' fee if you decide not to keep it. $3750 gone...if you decide to send it back.

Do you think there should be a cap on restocking fees? Say for up to $25k in equipment, the maximum restocking fee is $1,000? Or, say a flat %5 fee across the board with the buyer paying shipping both ways?

It seems it would be more profitable just to send equipment out on a trial basis and hope it comes back.

What do you think is a fair way or fair fee to let audiophiles try out internet purchases?
128x128mitch4t
Audio video Therapy is a great store..... I have purchased several things from them and they are good guys to deal with.   They have a great headphone room that i will hopefully be visiting soon
Any dealer can charge any price he likes good luck with a cap wishful thinking.
It's reasonable to request a home audition.  It's also reasonable for a dealer not to let you walk out the door without covering the risk of you running off with it.

I have a dealer that will put a hold on my CC for the full purchase price of whatever I want to audition.  If I run away, he's covered.  He also has the power to ding me if I scratch or damage whatever it is I auditioned.  This is where trust comes in.

I personally think this is a very fair way to handle things.  He gives me a weekend to audition it and if I don't bring it back Monday, the CC gets processed and I own it.  If I nick it up, I own it.

I usually give him something as appreciation as I know he doesn't need to take that risk with me, but I've known him for 20 years or more and it works for me.
I don’t think being an audio dealer, bricks & mortar or online, is a license to print money these days, so anything they need to try in order to keep the doors open is OK with me. They have to compete with the used market, so it can’t be easy.

Hell, even Spearit Sound who sold open box stuff from some well established names went under. We have to have someone left to sell new product so we can buy it here at 40 or 50% off list price.