Looking for a music server, sans DAC.

For music playback on my primary system I currently use a MAC Mini into a Bryston BDA-1 DAC via an Audiophilleo USB/SPDIF converter. I am considering replacing the MAC Mini with a Music server that can access redbook quality AIFF files from an external hard drive, either downloading them to an internal drive or playback directly from the external one. The ability to download CDs directly onto the internal drive is also desired. I do not stream or download music off the internet except using my Macbook Pro laptop computer on a secondary system.

I look forward to hear from anyone familiar with the Bryston BDP-1 regarding how it will work for my application? I would consider purchasing one used should I be convinced this the best route. 

Also asking for advice on other music servers I should consider given a budget under $2000. If said server has a CD drive for downloading that would be a plus, however I could use the Macbook Pro for this.

Are there servers that can accommodate an external CD drive for downloading?

Thanks in advance for any help with my search.

mesch

If you want to continue using USB, then I would highly recommend the Antipodes servers.  These should be in your pricerange.  Get the one with the good linear supply in it.  This server is well optimized for USB.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

I have researched the Vault 2 and have found customer reviews stating that many CDs could not be read (ripped). Has this been addressed by Bluesound? I do think it would make a good candidate for my needs. I believe it would allow for downloading existing files via USB hard drive. 

I have a review of the HAPZ, somewhat dated. Seems at that time the only input was ethernet. I will check to see if they have added a USB input for downloading off hard drive. 

I will check out the Antipodes models.

The use of server represents somewhat of a learning curve for me. Currently my use of computer as server has been satisfactory, however think I will want to get away from that approach in the near future. I am not against the idea of ripping CDs or importing downloads to a USB hard drive via computer and them transferring the resultant files to the server.

I will keep everyone posted as to my findings and likely formulate followup questions.

Thanks to all. 
If you don’t care about DSD capability, the NAD M50.2 is a very nice unit. I’ve been playing with one for several weeks.

Cd ripper, auto FLAC encoding, mobile and desktop apps (windows), AES/Coax/SPDIF and HDMI output, 2TB drives in RAID setup which are automatically network shares. I use the AES output, and even though you don’t stream, it will decode MQA to 24/96 automatically. Your DAC will have to do the rest.  Saves your HDTracks login to automatically download purchases as well as Tidal, Qbouz (sp?), etc.