Restocking Fees, 30-Day Free Trials

You are really curious about that $25k amp. The online dealer will send it to you on a trial basis with a 15% 'restocking' fee if you decide not to keep it. $3750 gone...if you decide to send it back.

Do you think there should be a cap on restocking fees? Say for up to $25k in equipment, the maximum restocking fee is $1,000? Or, say a flat %5 fee across the board with the buyer paying shipping both ways?

It seems it would be more profitable just to send equipment out on a trial basis and hope it comes back.

What do you think is a fair way or fair fee to let audiophiles try out internet purchases?
128x128mitch4t
Oh, and for those paying attention: Yes, I am using John's Audiogon account to post...but this is Mark. ;-)
Mark good on you guys, sounds like a great store
i would say build a relationship not only w store or stores but sales people / owners you trust
next time you are in a high end store just add up the investment in a single room, are tgere color options - consider just silver and black, then rethink your idea of having several dedicated loaner models or even back stock as beyond most dealers ( outside of Dubai ) financial capability....

also, lets be realistic - your $25 k amp is not a Ford Fusion - i bet there are less than 20 dealers in the usa and how many are made per year... stocking a $25 k amp and having a demo is rare ,
Audio video Therapy is a great store..... I have purchased several things from them and they are good guys to deal with.   They have a great headphone room that i will hopefully be visiting soon
Any dealer can charge any price he likes good luck with a cap wishful thinking.
It's reasonable to request a home audition.  It's also reasonable for a dealer not to let you walk out the door without covering the risk of you running off with it.

I have a dealer that will put a hold on my CC for the full purchase price of whatever I want to audition.  If I run away, he's covered.  He also has the power to ding me if I scratch or damage whatever it is I auditioned.  This is where trust comes in.

I personally think this is a very fair way to handle things.  He gives me a weekend to audition it and if I don't bring it back Monday, the CC gets processed and I own it.  If I nick it up, I own it.

I usually give him something as appreciation as I know he doesn't need to take that risk with me, but I've known him for 20 years or more and it works for me.