Pairing Planar Speakers With A Subwoofer (Eminent Technology)

What do you think of pairing the Eminent Technology LFT 8-B planars with a pair of Rythmik F25 subwoofers?

Please check out my room on my system page. I am attempting to emulate a set of Infinity IRS Betas.

System page: https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/876

Eminent Technology LFT 8-B: http://www.eminent-tech.com/main.html

Rythmik F25 subwoofer: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F25.html

128x128mitch4t

Mitch, the F25 is indeed an excellent sub, and will work quite well with the ET LFT-8b. I have a pair of F15HP’s (DIY version---I made my own 4cu.ft. enclosures), which have a single 15 woofer to the F25’s dual 15’s. Same sq, but the F25 has greater maximum spl. Both the F15 and F25 are being used successfully with magnetic-planar (mostly Magneplanars), ESL, and ribbon loudspeakers.

For reference, I am a former owner of Infinity RS-1b’s, and I consider the ET LFT-8b a superior loudspeaker. However, the LFT-8’s single 8" woofer is no match for the RS-1b’s servo-feedback woofer column, with it’s 6-8" woofers. Any of the Rythmik servo-feedback subs will be a great partner for the LFT-8 (used in place of the ET’s woofer), creating a very full-range, high-output hybrid. But for the ultimate version of such a design, there is an even better sub for use with dipole speakers, one also available from Rythmik’s Brian Ding, in a collaborative effort with Danny Richie of GR Research: their Servo-Feedback OB/Dipole Subwoofer, the only such design in the world! You can read about it on the GR Research AudioCircle Forum---there is too much to it for me to post here.

$1500 for a pair of the sub kits (a pair of 12" woofers with the Rythmik servo-feedback plate amp per side), another $500 for a pair of the H-frames they are installed in. $2500 for the ET LFT-8b’s, $2000 for the subs (plus the cost to finish the H-frames)---$4500 for performance far exceeding what you expect at that price point imo. The ultimate magnetic-planar/dynamic sub hybrid! Imagine---a dipole planar speaker with a dipole/OB sub---a perfect pairing!! I can say all this not just hypothetically and from theory, but from practice---this hybrid is my creation! As far as I know, I am the only ET LFT-8b/OB-Dipole Sub owner in the world. But the OB/Dipole Sub s being used with lots of other high-performance speakers, mostly ribbons. Ric Schultz of EVS has designed and is selling such a design, using the Rythmik/GR Research OB/Dipole Sub.

Hi I have Magnepan 1.7s... originally I had a Rel T7 sub paired. Honestly, IMO it was just ok and I was wrestling with a love/hate relationship with the Maggies. Then my Rel blew a Diode.. so while it was down I quick picked up PSB subwoofer cheap. Crazy as this may seem.. the PSB pulled everything together. My sound never sounded better.. for all genres of music. I fixed the Rel, sold the PSB and immediately regretted it... bought a new PSB and have been happy ever since & it keeps sounding better and better as it broke in. It matches so good with my Maggie’s that I’ve actually considered starting a thread on it... I think other Maggie owners may be interested. Just another thing to consider.
good luck!
I use a pair of 12" Rythmik subs with little Maggies and they integrate seamlessly (to my ear, anyhow).  I use Audyssey to effect the xover and add room correction

The hybrid LF8 presents a different (lesser)  challenge given the cone bass driver, so I don't see why it would be tough to pair with a sub.