input impedance load on a cartridge.

I am interested in purchasing an MC cartridge that prefers a 400ohm "load"from the pre amp. My head amp for MC cartridges provides 110ohms which is the highest recommendation for the unit (according to the manual). In theory I should be able to change the resistors to alter the load but I am worried that going beyond the recommended value would harm the pre amp/head amp.

Can I alter the resistors to accommodate the cartridge or should I be looking for a different cartridge (or a different head amp)?

I am particularly interested in the possibility of changing the load. The alternative cart/pre option is of secondary interest.

128x128oharchie
Many of the above posts are incorrect.

The reason why loading has an effect has nothing to do with the cartridge directly. It has to do with the stability of the preamp.

The inductance of the winding of the cartridge is in parallel with the capacitance of the tone arm cable. This forms a Radio Frequency tuned circuit (also known as a tank circuit). The tank circuit is set into oscillation by the energy produced by the cartridge. It often resonates at several MHz and thus produces RFI (Radio Frequency Interference). Some preamps don't like that and don't sound right as a result.

The loading resistor detunes the tank circuit enough that it will no longer resonate. Then the preamp sounds fine.

If however, the preamp is properly designed and is stable with RFI, then the loading resistor will be found to have no effect.

IOW, if you need the loading resistor to make your cartridge sound right, it points to a stability problem in the preamp.

You can find this topic discussed elsewhere on this site and others. Jonathan Carr of Lyra and Jim Hagerman have discussed it at length as well as myself. Jim has a good article online:
http://www.hagtech.com/loading.html

-which goes into the math of it.

Our preamps are stable so no loading is needed. We provide a loading strip, but it is mostly for high output MM cartridges where loading is critical and affects the cartridge directly at audio frequencies.

One additional point- when loading the cartridge, you are making it do work. This stiffens up the cantilever, changing its tracking characteristic- it will be less compliant; that's not a good thing. You are better off with a stable phono preamp.
If however, the preamp is properly designed and is stable with RFI, then the loading resistor will be found to have no effect.
Ralph...thank you!  I have always considered myself pretty much an expert on vinyl disk systems, but I never knew that.

Always appreciate continued education...
Keith Herron is a proponent of "infinite" loading of mc cartridges. Gauging by atmasphere’s excellent post above, one can conclude Herron pre’s are also stable designs. Loading of mm and mi cartridges is a different matter.