input impedance load on a cartridge.

I am interested in purchasing an MC cartridge that prefers a 400ohm "load"from the pre amp. My head amp for MC cartridges provides 110ohms which is the highest recommendation for the unit (according to the manual). In theory I should be able to change the resistors to alter the load but I am worried that going beyond the recommended value would harm the pre amp/head amp.

Can I alter the resistors to accommodate the cartridge or should I be looking for a different cartridge (or a different head amp)?

I am particularly interested in the possibility of changing the load. The alternative cart/pre option is of secondary interest.

128x128oharchie
Negligable or... important?
No.  I'd leave it as is and see how it sounds.  Absolutely will not hurt anything.
That's a preferable option =)

But just to fill my understanding of what is happening here - why match the recommended load if you have the ability and if you don't, what if anything is missing?

Generally, if you're loading at X ohms and its sounds a bit dull/lifeless/bass heavy that way, try higher loading to get it to even out a bit.  Alternatively, if you're loading at Y ohms and its sounds a bit too sparkly/tinny/HF heavy, then try lower loading. to get it to even out a bit.
Generally, if you're loading at X ohms and its sounds a bit dull/lifeless/bass heavy that way, try higher loading to get it to even out a bit. Alternatively, if you're loading at Y ohms and its sounds a bit too sparkly/tinny/HF heavy, then try lower loading. to get it to even out a bit.

That's correct.  Most cartridge loading pertaining to sonics will be very subtle.  The more resolving the system, the more you will hear it, but it will not change the overall sound aspect of the cartridge.

There are some that prefer loading a MC cart at 47K ohms, just like a MM cart.  I have owned a few MC carts that do indeed sound better up that high.

The end game is:  do whatever sounds the best to you.  Again, you can NOT hurt anything doing this.
To add to which it’s not just the cartridge and phono stage but also how the downstream pre deals with HF resonances. Some setups actually like the extra boost you get from a high loading while others are insensitive so you have to try it and see