Room acoustics

How about a thread on room acoustics and ways to improve the in-room performance of your system and its speakers? Subjects covered could be the physics of room response, measurement of response in your own room, and how to deal with imperfections, above and below the Schroeder frequency, like damping, bass traps, speaker positioning, (multiple) subwoofers, and dsp equalization. Other subjects could be how to create a room with lower background noise for greater dynamic range, building construction, or what to do in small rooms.
I am a bit busy just now, but as soon as I have time I will try to kick off with some posts and links.
willemj
OK, maybe we need to look into that then, because graphs are very illustrative of potential problems. Most telling are waterfall graphs, as these show that peaks also linger on. If people talk about slow bass performance of a speaker/sub they are wrong to blame the speaker. It is the room that makes the sound linger on. And that is very audible.
I have to sign off now (it is evening where I live) because I am expected at a birthday party. Please continue.
a couple of tidbits from an Email exchange with ASC (Tube-Traps):

1. ona hardwood floor, put a rug down, which should extend all the way underneath the speakers, sticking out for at least a foot in all directions from under each speaker. The rug should also extend all the way beneath the listening chair. This can have a large effect, softening the perceived hardness and brightness of the sound.

2. for glass windows, use the heaviest-available theater drapes from www.rosebrand.com -- even these are acoustically transparent below 1,000 Hz -- but the main components of stereo image formation occur above 1,000 Hz
I have a basement listening room with low ceilings.. two things I've done that have helped reduce peaks, resonance and echos: suspended ceiling with Armstrong tiles and fully carpeted. I'll check which model of ceiling tiles I have, they weren't cheap but they do a great job of sound absorption in the mid to high frequencies