Turntable getting back to vinyl

Please tell me there is a turntable under $ 400 that would sound satisfying with my nad 356
and totem sttaf speakers. Thanks!!!

bw
brianwillson
At the lower price points best to look in the used market for mid 70's to early 80's workhorse tables that can often be had for reasonable prices in decent shape. If you're not confident in looking for yourself, perhaps you could enlist the help of a friend who is knowledgeable in your search.  

In a secondary system I have a belt drive Pioneer PL 12D that I picked up for a song at a garage sale quite a few years ago and put an AT 120E on. That running through a DB 8 Systems phono preamp that I bought used for $55 provides quite decent sound quality. Pioneer PL 112D or 115D is also worth seeking out.

I also helped a friend set up a Technics SL D2 direct drive a few years ago and thought that it was quite a decent budget table. 

FWIW, my front end in my main system is a Michell Gyrodec with a Sumiko FT3 and rebuilt Ortofon MC 20 Super strapped for mono and a Jelco 750D with upgraded mounting collar and headsheall with another rebuilt MC 20 Super (sapphire cantilever and microridge stylus) for stereo. 

No, the above budget tables are not going to be as refined or as resovling as the better gear, but they are suprisingly good in terms of the amount of money invested in them and certainly capable of providing a reasonable experience if properly set up. They would also give the modern day budget Regas and Projects a run for their money IMO at a fraction of the price if picked up reasonably. 

+1 on those older Pioneers. Use them with medium compliance cartridges and you are fine. However, with these older turntables first check if the roller drive wheel or the belt if it is a belt drive can still be had. You will probably need to replace them.
Check out the Orbit at www.uturnaudio.com. Everything you need from one source, and the reviews are good!!!
Perhaps run a 'wanted ad' on Craig's list or other local media site.  Perhaps calling some of the local Pawn shops in the area for leads on used vintage tables dropped off by the grand kids.