Vandersteen 2C contour controls +-

So I have recently changed cables between my pre amp (ARC SP4) and amp (ARC VT60) and it made a significant difference: more detail and a better centered soundstage. But I lost quite a bit of punch in the low end. I like the effect of the new cables enough to keep them in.

If I want to use the Vandersteen contour controls to get some of the low end back do I dial it down... or up?

I’m assuming turning the bass contour down will lower the crossover point, effectively getting more from the low end.

Is this correct?

128x128oharchie
Looking back at your original post, perhaps the new interconnects between the amp and pre might be holding back on the lower frequencies?
I agree, let the dielectrics run in for a while. Sometimes, they just open up like a flower.
B

Good plan to let the cables burn in. Amazing how different your system can sound after 400 hours or so. Glad to hear it sounds really good now, and the best is yet to come!
@mr_m, the room treatments made all the difference in where the speakers could go. My problem was not enough bass (and I'm not a bass freak), so getting close to the front wall yielded better, smoother, more even response at the listening seat without any "one-note bass issues". Because of the treatments, the soundstage actually increased in all 3 dimensions. I've heard, and now am a believer, that the room will dictate 50% of what you're going to hear.

Tom
Funny thing - I had never considered inside space to be important but I removed two very full LP crates from between the speakers and the amps (amps are positioned in center between the speakers) and that opened up some more bass. So the speakers need a little breathing room on both sides, not just between the wall and speaker.

I'll be keeping the new cables in place between the pre and amp. =)

On side note: The single most effective jump in sound quality I've observed - once I assembled my current set of components - was power purification and AC cables. I can't explain in words how huge of an effect that made (noted: I have an old house with dated wiring). AC upgrades should not be shrugged! If I hadn't made those upgrades I don't think I would be hearing such large differences in interconnect cables.

Thanks all!

change your outlets on the wall
PS Audio makes a nice affordable outlet or a hospital grade Hubbel is even less $
also get the amp and preamp on seperate circuits
try a ground cheater or two but absolurely ensure the power amp is grounded if you do
finally get all your wall wart switching supplies, digital hash producers on a third circuit

enjoy