Please help me chose a tube preamp

I have an opportunity to buy an  Aesthetix Calypso Line Stage amp, I need to know what you all think of it, please.
I do not want to buy something based on reviews of high end audio publications, for I do not want to make the same mistake when I bought Totem model one, Triangle Titus, Audio Research LS3B. All  of these  were a major disappointment for me. 

There is a VTL TL 2.5 available as well, for less then half the price tag of Aesthetix.
I have a Levinson 431 power amp that  will be paired with the selected preamp.

Anyone have any experiences with this Aesthetix and VTL?

Cheers

audiomaster
I am with @sgunther, as good as Calypso is, it just doesn’t have the lush tubey sound. With Calypso, you get a very nice balanced and neutral sound, kind of best of both SS and Tube worlds.

I end up trading Aesthetix Calypso for ARC LS28. In a highly resolve system, you just can’t underestimate the virtues of a dedicated preamp.
I use an Aesthetix Calypso with an Aesthetix Atlas. A great neutral combination. My system is posted if you want to see the other components.
I have had an Aesthetix Calypso and Rhea (phono stage) for over a decade and halfway through I upgraded to the Signature version of both, and am very satisfied. They both lean toward neutrality without sounding dry or lifeless but, a perhaps better way to explain them is to say they are not overtly coloured, presenting a large, open, well detailed soundstage with plenty of air. Little bad can be said of these as I believe they punch way above their price point, are very well thought out and constructed, and Jim White and associates run a really good, customer centric organization. If needed, they will take excellent care of you. 
I heard a pair of ProAc's with Aesthetix amp and pre- I don't remember which model- but they sounded excellent. I don't think you would go wrong with that manufacturer.
Another manufacturer, Atma-Sphere, makes a killer preamp. My MP-3 is everything I could want.
B
audiomaster
You mentioned 'disappointment' with some other products. I too have had some of these, and they truly where awful.

I'm going to ask you two weird questions. If you answer yes to both, the Calypso or the Atma-Sphere are perfect for you.

If you answer yes to both, private message me (you are part of the 'golden ear' group). I don't want to offend anyone by having an open discussion.

1) can you parallel park easily? Yes?, or do you avoid it like the plague, no.

2) when you where younger, did you pause before printing/writing 'b's and 'd's, 'p's and 'q's, or 'm's and 'n's.?