Receiver shuts down after a message

I have a Sony STR DA2000ES that I bought used a couple weeks ago. Yesterday when I was wiring up the center speaker for the first time, I neglected to turn off the receiver. I heard a pop when I put the wire in the terminal and the receiver shut off. When I power it up, 'protector' flashes and then 'message 11' flashes and it shuts off. I've checked for any stray speaker wire and also have disconnected all speakers and inputs and left the machine unplugged over night. The receiver will still not power up normally. Is there anything I can try before having to take it to the shop?

Thanks
128x128marathon_mike
Also to consider....when I took it to the Sony authorized repair shop, the tech said that, looking at four bent connectors on the back, he thought that it been dropped.

However, it did play fine, even with the bent connects, until I tried hooking up the center channel with the power on.

I also talked with a Sony rep who quoted me a flat $225 repair fee if I'd shop it to their Laredo TX repair location. I am thinking about sending it there but feel that they may change their price if they see the bent terminals (and catagorize that as misuse).
Well, it seems you've done the diagnostic work for the technician yourself - it worked fine until you hooked up the center channel. That pretty much says it all. Dropped or not, the unit worked before hooking up the center channel. As I said in my previous post, "honestly evaluated". It doesn't seem as though you've made it to the 'honesty' part yet. Find a new technician, and by all means, DO NOT spend more than $125 repairing this unit; it's not worth it. Honestly.

-Richard