Dedicated Red Book CD player vs. "Universal" type players....

I surmise this discussion has been debated a fair amount but here goes....I'm searching for the "final" cd player. Red Book playback is important to me as I have an extensive cd collection and am not into computer based sound (yet). So, I don't mind grabbing and popping those silver disks into a player. What are my fellow Audiogoner's thoughts on a dedicated cd player vs. the universal (see Oppo) type of player? Does a one-box solution sacrifice some cd playback performance trying to be a jack of all trades? If so, can you hear that difference? Input and comments most appreciated!
128x128beernut
I imagine budget is a consideration. In my case, I have an Emotiva ERC-3 and Oppo UDP-205. Strictly from a red book CD perspective, I'd give the edge to the Emotiva, however, both are very capable.
My personal experience has been, and this is very condensed and generalized, that dedicated CD players sound better playing redbook than multi-function players of equivalent cost.  I've owned the Sony SCD 9000 and 5400, as well as an Esoteric X-05 and all were outperformed on redbook playback by both my Naim CD5x/flatcap, CDX2/Supercap (albeit more expensive) and current EAR Acute.  I have not had the opportunity to hear the more expensive multi-format players such as the Playback Designs or Esoteric K-03, so the results may change there.  But they're just SACD/CD.  I'm not sure there's a video player out there that will compete with the best non-video players.  Personally, in your position, I would buy the Oppo, which I'm sure does a good job with video and even SACD and later add a good dac for redbook if you're unsatisfied.  Good luck. 
Thanks for the input above! The idea of a "all in one" box has it's appeal. I was concerned that cd play back is compromised with all the added circuitry in that box....However, if it's close enough based on cost, an Oppo makes sense...
In the end, it's all about your own level of sonic perfection required.  Get the Oppo, break it in and then, maybe 6 months to a year down the road, compare it with a really good redbook player or DAC.  You'll either say - wow, this dac is amazingly better or a little better, or no difference.   But nobody can predict that until you listen.  Enjoy the Oppo.  I'm thinking of getting one myself.  I would like to play my SACDs and DADs again.