Does anyone use hearing aids when listening to your hi-fi audio system?

Yeah I just got hearing aids and I am feeling very old. Six years total time in Air-defense artillery and Field-artillery with the Army has ruined a band of my mid to high level frequency hearing.

Does anyone else out there listen to your hi-fi audio system with your hearing aids? What are the disadvantages? Does it make the experience any better? Pros and cons?
128x1282psyop
Like you, @2psyop, I have hearing damage from shooting guns in my adolescent days and although I scored 100% on word recognition, I have trouble hearing normal conversation in a noisy setting like a restaurant. All the consonants like ch, sh, ng, th, etc. tend to smear and are at a lower level than the rest of conversation. It’s right around the 3Khz level where my hearing drops well below the rest of what I can hear. Anyone who’s gone shooting without ear protection, just once, will have this deficiency and never get it back. Once, broken.....

I find I don’t need hearing aids since the drop starts from 2Khz and continues slightly after 3Khz area and my brain, such as it is, easily makes up for it. The only downside is a loss of shimmer, air and presence with some music in that area.

Granted, you’ve had years of abuse from your service but I think you can work around it all unless your tests show that the damage is more severe than what I think you have. I wish you the best on this.

One thing I’ve found is that ribbon tweeters go a long way towards restoring some of that lost area of hearing. When I had speakers with them, everyone thought my system was a bit too bright but it sounded fine to me.

All the best,
Nonoise

Thanks for the response and tips. Interesting notion thinking of your hearing aid as part of your hi-fi (lloydc). Another thing, I did spend much of my time on the firing range, and back in the 80’s not too much hearing protection was provided or thought of .. as a safety net for hearing...like today in the US Army. Although I am not whining or finding fault at all. Guess like all things I will get used to them even though they still make me feel old!
psag, I have Oticon Intiga 10 hearing aids.

The newer aids have faster processors and software.
2psyop
If my hearing got to a point of questioning it, I’d be selling the expensive speakers and amp, and getting the best headphones and headphone amp I could get.

Cheers George