Why do turntables sound different?

Let's consider higher-end tables that all sound excellent. Same arm/cartridge and the rest of the chain. Turntable is a seemingly simple device but apparently not quite or not at all.
What do members of the 'scientific community' think?
inna
I thought about responding but, decided against.

The reason for this thread is of concern?

I agree it is all about vibration and speed stability. I am puzzled when I see a high priced turntable sitting on a rack between two speakers. The positioning of the turntable to avoid vibration is critical.

I have my turntable in the corner on the opposite side of the room from my speakers. It sits on a 3" maple block which sits on a  VPI turntable stand filled with sand. I have all my front end equipment in that corner as far from the speakers as possible. I run a pair of 9 meter interconnects from the preamp to the amp which sits between the speakers.

nknor instead of getting the TT out of the room and spending huge $$$ on ic's and speaker cables why not get some great isolation platforms like minus-k or Vibraplane? Problem solved.
Since the resonant frequencies of the turntable platter, tonearm and cartridge are intentionally designed to be much lower than the lowest airborne vibration frequency you can pretty much ignore airborne vibration.