Would you like to know about Dunlavy mods?

I have done extensive mods to my Dunlavy SCIV's over the years. It has been quite a learning experience in component upgrades such as capacitors, resistors, inductors, internal sealing of the wood of the cabinet, nuts, bolts, internal wiring , external crossover isolation, speaker platorms, Sistrum platforms and baffles to minimize bass cacelation. I suppose that was an example of a run on sentence. If any one would like to know more please contact me.
theaudiotweak
Thanks Aaron, I will try to pry open the speakers and also try getting the brass hardware. Thanks again.
Ferrous materials around the magnetic structure (other than the pole piece} will interfere with the lines of flux.The difference I heard when I subsituted the brass machine screws was a smoother,quieter sound, less apparent hash, lower distotion,with more focus to the individual sound stage.The crossover is mounted with steel screws,and the back plate has an adhesive gasket.This assembly can be slid out of the back for inspection.Aaron, the back plate for the input terminal can be removed and a new one can be made to replace it.If you do so then you can change to the Cardas copper connectors and use any cables you want.Brass hardware can be found more easily at mom and pop hardware stores than at the big boys.Again you can buy many of the caps and resistors and inductors from North Creek Music Systems.Remember I changed the inductor wire gauge so this made the inductor much larger in size.This much, much larger size required me to mount the crossover external to the cabinet which allowed me to use any and all types of spkr. wire as well as to remove the components from the turbulence inside the cabinet.When you add up all of the minor to small to large changes that I made to these speakers over the last few years the difference I feel and to others that have witnessed them, is Huge. As time went on I became bolder and more confident in the changes I made .Some times I thought to myself "Tom don't screw up these great and expensive speskers".Remember I never changed the value of the components, only their physcial quality. I would not recomMend changing drivers.Thanks for listening ,Tom
Tom. the Zobel networks will not affect the time alignment at all. Ehider knows what he's talking about. If you Zobel the drivers, you will get much more linear results, particularly around the crossover points. The one that is probably the most critical one to do is the woofer. Line one up for the resonant frequency of the woofer and you will be amazed.
Also, about the ferrous metals, if you separate the chokes and coils wider apart, they will have less interplay between them. The fields interact more when they are closer together. If you can get them a six inches to a foot apart, then do it.
It is critical when soldering to not get cold joints. They will filter the high frequencies out.
TWL,

Thanks for the kudos. As you point out, the Zobels on Dunlavys are a definite mod to implement.

Audiotweek,

I know of 3 Dunlavy SC-IVa owners and one Althena owner who have implemented Zobels, and all are extremely pleased with the results. The sound is much cleaner and more musical. This mod does not have a downside. It is a true "win-win" circuit implementation.
Ferrous material in and around a circuit board can attract RFI.This is why one should use brass hardware which does not act as an antenna and also is less resonant
than the steel screws and mounting plates found in Dunlavy as well as other speakers.When I made hese upgrades in materials there an apparent improvement in clarity as cleaner upper mids and highs.