Physics of downward firing woofers

Ok ... this question will show my complete lack of knowledge about physics ... but here goes anyway:

Every now and then I come across a speaker with a downward firing woofer. I wonder: why don't the sound waves bounce off the floor back towards the speaker, rattling the bejeezez out of it and / or messing up the woofer itself?

~Jim
128x128jimspov
Bass waves are many feet long so the floor a few inches away doesn't have any bounce effect really.  The sound typically radiates out Omni-directionally and this decreases bass resonance in the room.  ATC makes down-firing subs and it's not cosmetic at all.  Even the pro versions that don't take cosmetics into account fire down.  I've had both down and front-firing subs and I think down-firing is a fine decision.  You probably can't get the perfect integration that you could theoretically get by having the sub lined up with the speakers so the whole system is time aligned and all frequencies arrive at the same time but the problems with deep bass in most rooms mean you don't typically have the sub lined up that way anyway.  It's usually placed to be out of sight or placed to minimize bass peaks and valleys caused by the room's resonant frequencies.
Another thing, some speakers have down-firing ports which is the same idea.  A long time back I went from B&W 804s to 802s.  The 804s had front ports and the 802s had bottom ports.  The measured in-room response of the 802s was dramatically better in the deep bass.  It was very close to spec whereas the 804s had huge variances. 

I noticed Revel started doing down-firing ports on the ultima 2 line.  It has its advantages.