Price vs. value point

Hi Everyone,

Being rather new here, I'm facinated by some of the setups people have. Even more interesting is the $$$ tied up in them! I'm curious to know what the best bang for your buck price point is for HT. I currently have an integrated Sony amp bought almost 5 years ago, and I'm looking to upgrade. I've paged through the Audio Advisor catalog seeing the Yamaha, martinez, and paradigm amps. While they are nice, I'm unsure if I'll notice the difference between the $3k paradigm, and the $500 yamaha. Sure, speakers play into it alot, and I'm going to upgrading those as well. I'm currently looking at the Orb Audio systms mainly because of size. Not sure if I'm even going about this right...

Suggestions? Ideas?

thx,
mm
128x128martinman
Post removed 
Post removed 
Welcome to the fringe.

Hang out here and start reading the HT forum to death...you'll learn quite a bit and you may also get a better idea of where you might want to start. I initially wanted to do some sort of surround sound getup but ended up stopping with a 2.1 system as music is more of a priority than the occasional gunshot/train etc scene in a movie...or surround music for that matter.

You can gradually "grow" a system over time and when you mention price vs value...it's really all relative however as has already been mentioned...much value is to be gained by buying used. But first...read read read...you'll learn quite a bit here and may end up with a system within your budget that is far better than what you might have hoped for.

Cheers
Good places to start are the mid priced used AV recievers and DVD players from Denon, Marantz and NAD. Buy from someone who has alot of good feedback. Call them up on the phone and if you get a good feeling from them, go for it. Speakers are little more difficult in that you need to match you room size, decor etc.. You are doing the right thing in asking questions. Good luck.
If you're going with the Orbs, anything more than a nice receiver is a waste of your money.