"Straight" talk

I can't emphasize enough about the importance of proper azimuth.  When even a bit off, the result is smearing of soundstage, emphasis of one channel or the other, blurring of lyrics, loss or air around the instruments...etc.  If Paul Simon (et al) doesn't sing in his own space exactly between your speakers....better get a Foz.
128x128stringreen
Folkfreak.....   Actually, I thought it was kind of clever.   The object of the game is to get the diamond to sit straight in the record groove....  Lewn....the diamond is to be straight in the groove...If the stylus was not affixed to the cantilever properly than the arm should compensate....that's exactly what the Foz easily permits.
@stringreen sorry, too clever for me 😀 I’d assumed you were referring to the classic horizontal cartridge top when viewed from the front! Now you explain it makes sense
Post removed 
lewm
... on average, one might be better off with ignoring azimuth adjustment in favor of setting the cantilever 90 degrees with respect to the LP surface.
I absolutely agree. Moreover - although every aspect of phono cartridge alignment geometry is important - I do not think that azimuth is the most critical. Much, much more important is assuring that the cantilever/stylus is truly tangent at the chosen alignment's null points. Gauges that align the cartridge rather than the cantilever are particularly vulnerable to getting this wrong. That's why I always suggest the use of a mirrored gauge, such as the WallyTractor or Mint gauges. These use the reflection of the cantilever itself to ensure proper tangency. The only better way, imo, is to use instruments, such as an oscilloscope.