Harbeth P3's or CS7 easier drive

I'm driving the P3's with a Croft phono Integrated. It's a very nice combo, and I would think very hard to beat for the money. Opinions may vary of course. I can't help but wonder if the C7's would unleash the Croft a bit. I remember the dealer playing the SHL5's for me after the P3's, and they easily sounded more efficient...Played louder with same amp and VC set the same. That was what I had heard about the 5's, so no surprise there. The C7's are spec'd at 86db, while the P3's I believe are 83.5db. However, the Harbeth site suggests an amp with higher wattage (than P3) for the C7's. Cheers -Don
fjn04
The P3ESR is a closed system and less efficient than the bigger models. So it needs more power for the same sound pressure (about twice as much). At the same time the driver is rather smaller so it cannot handle as much power. Remember, however, that a small amplifier driven into clipping is a lethal weapon for speakers. The conclusion, therefore, is not surprising: the P3ESR is a speaker for smaller rooms (and I love mine for that). So it needs a fair amount of power, but should not be driven into destruction. My best advice would be an amplifier that delivers something like 100 watt into 8 Ohm (like my Quad 405-2), i.e. some 130-150 watt into 6 Ohm). There is a video of Alan Shaw driving a P3ESR with exactly that, and he said it was on the edge. Much depends on how long you do this, and with what kind of music. There is quite a difference between playing low dynamic range but loud heavy metal (dangerous), and high dynamic range symphonic music that demands big power for the occasional peaks, but then lets the speaker recover (cool down). Powerful solid state is what Alan Shaw himself advocates. He designed the P3ESR using a Quad 405. It is a gloriously refined and revealing combination, as long as you respect and accept its limitations.
As for the Leben, see here for the test results: https://www.stereophile.com/content/leben-cs300-integrated-amplifier-measurements
Even though Harbeths are easy to drive, this load dependent frequency response implies that the amplifier is by no means a straight wire with gain, but effectively a tone control emphasing some frequencies at the expense of others. Any mainstream Japanese 2x100 watt amplifier will be far more natural for much less money.
There are exceptions, but in general, it seems like the majority are using SS (or Hybrid) amps with the P3's. I understand why an 83-86 db speaker will respond to power... But I have never heard a SS amp which (for me) had that ever so engaging quality of a tube amp. I have a feeling a good 75 watt tube amp would do nicely. That said, I'd certainly take the opportunity to try a SS amp with the Harbeths. willemj- thanks for your response. (-: